Cleaning the glass

eyedoc

What do you use to clean the glass near the sand and where the front and side meet. My magnet cleaner can't get to these spots. I have a metal edge scraper, would that work for the edge of the sand. Can you use a regular scrungy sponge (from the supermarket)?
Thanks

If it is glass it will be easy, you may want to take a look at the kent scraper with the metal blade. I use the same version but with plastic blade for my acrylic. The blade is exchangeable and if you get the 24" long scraper you can pull out the handle cover cut it with a hacksaw to the length you want and replace the cushioned cover.

Where the front and side meets is a little more difficult on glass as I am assuming you have silicon joints so try a toothbrush as you do not want to cut trough the silicon seal.

Here is a link:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...7518&N=2004+2022+2147066508+113547&in_merch=1

An old credit card makes a great scraper. You can run down the glass in front of the sand without scratching the glass ;)

Not unless purposely scratch with the pointed corner of the blade. There is IMO more chances of scratching it if during cleaning sand grains get traped in between the blade and the glass and this could happen with any type of blade.

The idea of the credit card works well but you may not want to put your whole arm in the aquarium, I tried mounting one on a handle but it is diffucult to exert the right pressure this way as it bends where the handle connects to the card.

Ive always used a toothbrush , but if it encrusted stuff , I found a all plastic scraper at a LHS that you put metal blades ,...the blades rust but you can get one or 2 uses out of it ....6 blades cost 0.99...Never had a problem with any scratching

Acrylic - Kent Marine Scraper with the Plastic Blade.

Glass - I used a razor blade, but if you don't want to put your arm in the tank the Kent plastic blade scraper works just fine.

For Corners - I use a long handled brush. Not sure the brand, it has a blue handle and white pad.

Glass is very difficult to scratch, acrylic very easy. Keep your ears open while you're doing it so you can hear it if you mess up. Never scratched a tank from the brush/blade; sand grains getting caught should be your main concern.

I worked for an aquarium service company for a while, so I got pretty adept at cleaning the tanks in record time. You can go to town down at the gravel line with the plastic blade and usually not scratch anything up. DO NOT use a sponge down near the sand.

Back