Cleaning used protein skimmer

DaveFe

I was gifted a used protein skimmer and was trying to get it cleaned up. If you see the attached photo there's some brown crud on it, I've rinsed it out but it's not coming off, I can't really get my hand down there to wipe it.
Should I soak it in something, am I being over cautious and shouldn't even worry about it?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0768.jpg
    IMG_0768.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 0
Try soaking it overnight in some white vinegar. You can dilute this a little with some water if you want, but vinegar is cheap and be be used over and over again.

Use vinegar or extremely diluted meuratic acid. Those two are the Staples of cleaning in this hobby. Pool acid needs gloves and ventilation. It should be a last resort.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Citric acid and water maybe? Can you disassemble it any? That would help a bit too so you can get in there with a brush or something.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Your overthinking it.

Run it like an hour in vinegar/water, rinse it out, throw it in the sump for usage.

Your overthinking it.

Run it like an hour in vinegar/water, rinse it out, throw it in the sump for usage.
Is that a safe way to clean my existing skimmer? Pull it from tank..run in bucket.. then drop back in tank?

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Is that a safe way to clean my existing skimmer? Pull it from tank..run in bucket.. then drop back in tank?

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Yes.

You don't really have to run the skimmer though, just give it a good soak in some vinegar and then hit it with a brush. Piece of cake.

Last edited:
It's soaking now, thanks everybody. Hopefully plumbing everything in the next few days so wanted to have this in place first.

Back