Closed Brain dying overnight? Help please

nathanspowell

Hello RC, I'm in need of help here. This LPS frag has been doing great, growing like crazy and moving onto it's host LR. I get up today, and it looks like it has a milky white substance on it, bleached in some areas, and has massively shrunk! All in less than 12 hours! Below are details are my water parameters, stock, and a picture. Please help if you can, and thank you! The stock in this tank has coexisted for months since the last addition with no issues.

Tank - 70g with 6g sump
I perform all my tests with Salifert, refrac for Salinity, RODI for top off and water changes.
Phospates < 0.1
Nitrates < 2.5
Salinity 1.026 (I use ATO as well)
Temp 80F
pH 8.1
dKH 7.5
Mag 1500ppm
Calcium 425ppm

Stock
Corals
Closed Brain Coral (victim), several colonies GSP, large Zoanthid colony, Toadstool leather, mushroom leather, two red mushrooms
Fish
1 each.. Mandarin Goby, Sleeper Goldenhead Goby, Yellow tang, Black Clown, Green Chromis, and a Firefish
CUC
25-30 hermits, 6 scarlets, 25 snails, 2 camelback shrimp

Picture of Coral
2014-11-22%2012.09.04.jpg

If it was mine I would move it way down almost under a ledge for shade. Hope it spreads feelers out at night and start feeding it. Your params look fine except maybe need to feed it and get it lower in the tank IMO.

Thank you Tweaked, but it I found the culprit. All of the sudden one of my camel shrimp decided to start munching on the Favia. I caught it in the act.

After about 8 painstaking hours and building six different traps I finally caught both of them and removed them from the tank. The success trap ended up being a empty plastic peanut jar. I used fishing line to hinge the lid and another line fed through the jar and out the aquarium to close the hinge, baited with Mysis, caught both in under a hour with this trap. Their behavior was to go partially in and never fully commit, hence the other traps failed. The hinge trap was too fast for them though, once they got just inside the rim, i ripped the line and had them.

Thank you Tweaked, but it I found the culprit. All of the sudden one of my camel shrimp decided to start munching on the Favia. I caught it in the act.

After about 8 painstaking hours and building six different traps I finally caught both of them and removed them from the tank. The success trap ended up being a empty plastic peanut jar. I used fishing line to hinge the lid and another line fed through the jar and out the aquarium to close the hinge, baited with Mysis, caught both in under a hour with this trap. Their behavior was to go partially in and never fully commit, hence the other traps failed. The hinge trap was too fast for them though, once they got just inside the rim, i ripped the line and had them.

Yes, camel shrimp are not reef safe. Peppermints are hit and miss.

Back