Closed loop intake in overflow.... ok?

CorbetJackson50

I am planning a closed loop on my 120 i am planning on installing the intake in the overflow, is this ok? most closed loop intakes i hae seen have been in the tank somewhere

I'd recommend against it. You tend to have a lot of air bubbles in an overflow which would subsequently be run through the pump and come out the outflow as lots and lots of little bubbles.

One reason they put them have the intakes in the tank is that it draws water without any air.

Not to mention that the linear length needed of the overflow for the closed loop on top of the linear length needed for the sump return may mean the difference between having water in the tank and water on the floor;) Since more flow through the overflow means more height over the weir...

the overflow is an in tank (corner) overflow with a durso the overflow has 2 holes in the bottom of it, one drain and one return i was planing on making one drain and one intake for closed loop. I didnt think bubbles would be bad in the bottom of the overflow. Is there any way to make less bubbles in the overflow

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14133801#post14133801 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hop
Not to mention that the linear length needed of the overflow for the closed loop on top of the linear length needed for the sump return may mean the difference between having water in the tank and water on the floor;) Since more flow through the overflow means more height over the weir...

yea, i didnt even think about that.

I don't think it would be a very good idea either because of the tubulance and bubbles.

Back