Clouded eye on Yellow Tang -

reefnoober

TO Date -
This weekend, I introduced a new fish to my DT,..a yellow tang.
Seemed fine at LFS. & ate well prior to purchase.
I took an hour to acclimate him by "bag method" & turned off the lighting to ease introduction.
Later in the eve' , I turned the lighting on to feed..and he ate well.

However, I noticed his right eye was clouded.
I had trouble netting him from bag to place into DT - it could have been scratched then, causiing a bacterial infection?

I do not have a quarintine tank for treatment, nor really want to have to.

I have had NO issues with his appetite, behavior or appearance otherwise.

Last night (11/26/12) I purchased (2) xxx brand medication(s) to treat this, as suggested on another board.

The medications consist of an antibiotic-(Foc**) & a binder-(Neo****) to mix with food, for ingestation of the medication, rather than dosing my entire DT.
The antibiotic says "1 spoon/10 gal.", by logic, it would be considerably less in food mixture...
Anyone know the mixture ratio, or how to do this?

I have various foods to use, including frozen brine shrimp, dried veggie flakes, dried mysis & tiny pelletized food.

Help!...THX.

The medications consist of an antibiotic-(Foc**) & a binder-(Neo****) to mix with food, for ingestation of the medication, rather than dosing my entire DT.
The antibiotic says "1 spoon/10 gal.", by logic, it would be considerably less in food mixture...
Anyone know the mixture ratio, or how to do this?

Is this a reef tank with corals/inverts? If so, I would refrain from using any kind of antibiotic in there. Even mixed in with food.

ANSWER - YES...Mixed reef

ANSWER - YES...Mixed reef

Sadly, I already tried mixing a very small amount into some brine shrimp to try and feed the tang that way.
I have a bubble tip that usually is about 4 in. in dia.
Today, at lunch, I checked on the tank and found the bubble tip to be rather bad looking..dark in color, and about 1/4 it's normal size.:(

I added some coral food to the tank & had to return to work.

Feeling rather Shitty about the progress of this situation.
I never had issues like this.

Sadly, I already tried mixing a very small amount into some brine shrimp to try and feed the tang that way.
I have a bubble tip that usually is about 4 in. in dia.
Today, at lunch, I checked on the tank and found the bubble tip to be rather bad looking..dark in color, and about 1/4 it's normal size.:(

I added some coral food to the tank & had to return to work.

Feeling rather Shitty about the progress of this situation.
I never had issues like this.

Run carbon ASAP and then start doing WCs ASAP.

And I don't mean to sound preachy, but unless you change your mind about having a QT, you will keep feeling shitty as these situations keep happening to you. Believe me, I know the feeling.

Run carbon ASAP and then start doing WCs ASAP.

And I don't mean to sound preachy, but unless you change your mind about having a QT, you will keep feeling shitty as these situations keep happening to you. Believe me, I know the feeling.
+1 A QT/HT isn't just something that's nice to have; its a vital piece of equipment. I don't know of a single book, author, or anyone I would take advice from, who doesn't say the same thing. I don't always agree with Bob Fenner; but I agree with his writings that say the "if you won't religiously use a QT, then this may not be the hobby for you". I hope you change your mind on QTs; this is a wonderful, lifetime hobby/addiction. The turnover rate in the hobby is very high: I'm sure refusing to use a QT has a lot to do with that.

DT Update - as of 11-28

DT Update - as of 11-28

Thankfully, whatever the issue was with my bubbletip....it's recovering.
I'm wondering if it was the noise in the DT or the bubbles flowing around my Bubbletip when my top-off got low?
I've ceased dosing food as of now.
Starting to shop around for a QT idea for prices & requirements.

I'd like to keep it small...perhaps a 5 or 10?

Starting to shop around for a QT idea for prices & requirements.

I'd like to keep it small...perhaps a 5 or 10?

Size is dependent upon the size fish you want to keep. Consider a 20 long. All you really need is the tank, heater, a cheap HOB power filter and some PVC elbows for hiding places. Even a light is optional.

Tang Eye care update -as of 11/29:

Tang Eye care update -as of 11/29:

I've now setup a 10 gal "kit" tank (heater & small bio filter incl.) from Meijers'. (about 40 bucks)
Added a submersible Blue LED stick, purchased from EBay for my DT.
Pumped the water from DT to fill it. - (replaced DT water with a fresh 10 gal mix afterward)
Scooped about 2 cups of sand & crushed coral from DT bed & added that.
Also added some algae & cheato clump from my fuge' and a piece of plastic coral.

This morn' I added dosage of Neoplex as label instructed

I'll keep the post -

Thx all.

Last edited:
Back