Cloudy Water - Any suggestions?

dismayed

I had a leather die last week, and when I pulled it out of the tank part of it kind of broke off and dissolved. I tried to pick up as much as I could, but some of it was too tiny. I think that is what most of the specs are.

I also have some percent of the specks that appear to be amphepods.

I am running with the standard filtration my AquaPod 24 gallon came with, which is a sponge filter.

I'm just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I could do to clean things up, or if this will eventually work itself out? The water has been like this for a few days now.

I've found that my water is crystal clear the day after I stir the sandbed around. I guess its the bacteria in the sand but anytime I get a sandstorm in my tank it gets VERY clear the next day

Also I meant to say that I have cleaned the sponge recently and performed water change today to see if that would help. It didn't.

Definately run carbon. Do you have any biological filtration such as live rock? Activated carbon is very helpful for pulling dissolved organics out of the water. That should be a first step and it is something that you should always have on hand in case of emergency. It sounds like you just don't have anything in there that is breaking down the organics fast enough.

I have a bunch of live rock and sand. I haven't tried carbon yet though, I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Carbon will definitely help. If you can, get some Marineland Black Diamond carbon and run it in there. Should help at least a little. ;)

Part of it is also probably the new pump I just bought. It's a Maxi-Jet 900. I bought it because I read on some forums that a lot of people are using this particular model in their AquaPods. It seems like it kicks up a lot more sand though with all the extra flow it generates. Can't decide if I should downgrade to the 400 or 600 or just leave it alone. Guess I'll buy some carbon first and see how it goes.

Back