Cloudy water this morning

grtmmt

Well made rookie mistake last night. Tank has been running 10 years mixed reef. Mostly lps but some sps. Nitrates last couple of weeks jumped up to 40. Decided to dose vodka and put in way to much. Woke up to cloudy tank. Should I wait out the cloudy water? Maybe a water change? Alkinity was fine but PH was a little low. Update nitrates back down to 10. Water still cloudy

Last edited:
Sounds like a bacteria bloom, runs carbon & clean filters often, should clear up if all inhabitants look ok. How much exactly did you put in and is this your 1st attempt at dosing?

Carbon dosing is a proven method, but it's tricky and not without complications. Many are caused by starting this regime before the tank has matured somewhat. You're good there, but as you said, you overdosed. Your accident points out the delicate balance in our tanks.

It does sound like a bacterial bloom, which is basically too much of a good thing. You want more helpful bacteria, just not THAT much. The other most common complication is cyanobacteria.

A large water change is my best advise. In fact, I'd have advised the same thing for the high Nitrates, as a first measure, THEN start with carbon dosing.

I think you'll work it out. Stick with the plan and don't overdo it.

Back