cloudy water

Curve50880

I started a thread about a week and a half ago but i lost the link so im going to sum it all up. My water in my 20 gallon is slightly cloudy...not milky or anything like that. I do not dose anything that would cause this to happen. The advice I was given by several people on this forum was to run carbon which i did and for the past week, I do not see any results. I began to get some brown "stuff" on my sand as well. Here is a picture of it but its a little worse than the picture now it is now on the rocks and i am just starting to notice some on the glass as well: http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u24/curve50880/PICT0109.jpg
I ordered some snails to help clean that up. My one clown and two hermits are doing fine though. I was told not to do any water changes because it will just disturb it more. Any ideas?

Unfortunately, you are probably going to need to provide the same information about your tank again.

1. How long has your tank been set up?
2. Do you have liverock and live sand?
3. What else do you have in your tank in the way of fish and corals?
4. What are your water's parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, calcium, alkalinity, etc.)?

More info would be good, but I'm guessing it's a brand new tank. The cloudy water sounds like the normal bacteria bloom and the brown dusting is diatoms. Has your tank fully cycled? If not I'd take the clowns back to the store until your tank cycles and settles down enough for them to be happy.

1. Tank has been setup for about a month now...it was fully cycled after a week and a half.
2. 20lbs of live rock and 20lbs of live sand
3. Just a perc. clown and two hermits.
4. Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0, calcium was about 300 last time i checked

My cleanup crew came today to take care of the brown garbage on the sand. The water is still cloudy though, has anybody got any ideas?

Back