Cloudy Water

Chago09

My 90 gallon has been cloudy all of a sudden for two days now?? It looks like my FW water tanks when there is a cycle or high nitrites or ammonia. I have tested both in my 90 and have used two different test kits and results keep coming back as undetectable. Plus the corals are still wide open so I doubt there is any ammonia or nitrite because that would close them up tight immediatly.

Is there anything else in SW that could cause cloudy water??

phosphates may. Do you have coral in you're tank? Does it clear after a water change? Do you run carbon? Is you're flow too strong across the sand bed?

yes I have coral in the tank and there look as normal, I wasn't gonna do a waterchange until Wednesday, thats usually my day for that. Flow does not effect the sand bed. No I do not run carbon

do a water change as soon as you can, as for carbon i personally recommend you us it, i doubt your cloudy water problem will be cured using carbon regular water changes with good quality water will help, but i believe running carbon as well as a skimmer is benificial for the marine aquarium in the long run, i know a few auarists wont but this is my personal opinion

Original Post had this:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12265878#post12265878 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chago09
Plus the corals are still wide open so I doubt there is any ammonia or nitrite because that would close them up tight immediately.

Reply had this:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12265951#post12265951 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tuckrule
Do you have coral in you're tank?

:lol: :confused: :rolleyes: :p

I know... Normally I read responses and get mad because they didn't read the whole thing before they responded. And now I am one of those people!!!

Cloudy water could be caused by a few things: Precipitation of calcium carbonate-If you are dosing buffer and your ph spiked what appears like a smowstorm can occur and leave chaulky material on your rock and submerged equipment. A bacterial bloom-if something died or if you added decaying material such as new live rock or dosed a carbon source . An algae bloom- If your nitrates and or phosphates are high either from using tap water or a buildup of detrius in the dand or rock crevices. New sand-pariculates from the sand wil float about for a day or two.

Corals will not necessarily react to ammonia and nitrite/nitrate in the short term.

no I am not dosing calcium or buffers

Yes something may have died, I have not seen my little watchman goby for weeks. It may have caused a bacteria bloom. My ammo and trite are zero so that means its all ok right?? the bacteria bloom is not dangerous and will go away right??

No I use RO/DI and my nitrate in tank is undetectable

It is most definitely a bacteria bloom.
I had one that would not go away in a QT tank.I ended up keeping my PH really high(8.4) with limewater topoffs and lights off for 3 days.I think you better check that skimmer out and do some maintenance if you're not getting good skimmate from it.

Back