Clove Polyps? Bad.

g_langley

Are these clove polyps? These are becoming a royal pain now, I am syphoning and brushing them off, but wondering what else I could do.

Can someone ID these imposters please, the coralline algae bit you see is 2 inches across.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0551.jpg
    IMG_0551.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hard to tell are you sure they aren't aptasia?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to see looks like aptasia though either way get a file fish will eat them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll get a better picture, need to wait for my son. These are small and do not grow at all, unlike the Aiptasia I am used to which get large. But no doubt they may well be.

Here's a better picture, you should see that the tentacles are bristly and not smooth like an anemone should be? Any idea what these are?

Attachments

• RCPOLYPS.jpg
    RCPOLYPS.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 4
With bristly tentacles? I could not find anything on the net showing me this version (not smooth tentacles). Not doubting, just saying.

I also was thinking aiptasia until the last picture. Aiptasia don't have bristly tentacles, which that last picture seems to show.

I've syphoned them out before, and then they come back. I'd just like to know what these things are. They could have come with the live rock I had back in 2015 and I do feed quite heavily. I was going to get some Nudi's but the store also thinks these aren't regular Aiptasia.

You can get rid of them via hydrogen peroxide (h2o2) but you MUST wear protective gear, gloves, goggles, chemical mask, take the culprit rocks out of your tank, hold the affected side down in a dish of drugstore H202 for 30 seconds, then rinse liberally under your sink faucet. Then set them into a bucket of discard salt water for 30 minutes before returning to your tank: the bubbles that come off are pure oxygen, which can burn and kill other life. The reason for protective gear is in case there should be poisonous palys or other problems on the rock. Everything on the rock will be killed. But the bacteria inside the rock will be fine, and it will resume function as live rock.

I've decided to ditch the tank and start a new one, beaten by hydroids.

[MENTION=116634]Sk8r[/MENTION] - your advice on killing these hydroids on the live rock I have still stands? I want each whole rock placed in a h202 solution to kill everything inside it, apart from the bacteria?

I have about 25k of Fiji Premium, be such a shame to waste it.

Back