Clown fish help with new tank

O3reefer

I have a new tank that has been up for about 6 weeks. Its a 70g cube with 20g sump. I have had 2 young clowns in it for about a week. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on something that I could put in there for them to host in. This is just the planing phase as I know I should wait a bit before putting anything else in. I also have my CUC and a sally light foot, which I am not 100% in love with. It scares off of my clowns a lot, even though there is plenty of food for it. I have not put any corals in and would really like to get something planned and started here soon.

Any advice?

How do your water tests look? Has everything been stable for a while? Def wait on nem its best to wait well over 6 months before putting one in a new tank. As for corals, your water quality and setup(lights etc.) are the controling factor.

last water tests, about 5 days ago, showed
Amm 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5-10
pH 8.0
sg 1.024

my lights are 250w 15,000k HQI Mh with 2 65w double actinics. I will be doing another water test tonight in about half hour once my kids are in bed. My tank took 3 weeks to cycle and water has been stable since. I think my clowns dont swim in the rocks because of the sally.

Last edited:
Clowns will host in all sorts of things. I would check out a Frogspawn or a Toadstool Mushroom. But in the end it is up to them.

my clowns love my two frog spawn that I have and with frog spawn you dont have to worry about them getting shredded in the powerhead if they detach.

I think frogspawn would be a good choice as well. Really, most euphyllia corals will be suitable, like a torch or hammer coral even. If you can get a good looking long polyp toadstool leather that would be good too. Hell, if you can get some hairy mushrooms those are great. I agree its good to wait on the nem. A lot of clowns aren't so picky when it comes to a suitable host. I had a pair that insisted on hosting a Koralia powerhead instead of the RBA i had for them.

I think I will put some frogspawn in my tank. Is there anything special I should know about the care of them before I add them. I will look up some more info about them, but first hand knowledge is always good.

Also any suggestions for the best place to buy from?

My clown love my toadstool leather. Very easy to keep.
As for your crab. A reefer on another site is having problems Trying to catch his Sallylightfoot. It has eaten several of his fish. I have seen a pic of iys shedded shell it is yhe size of the palm of your hand. I did not know they could get that big. If I were you I would get it back to the LFS asap

I think I will put some frogspawn in my tank. Is there anything special I should know about the care of them before I add them. I will look up some more info about them, but first hand knowledge is always good.

Also any suggestions for the best place to buy from?

Just know that they don't like really rough flow. Try to put the frogspawn in a spot shielded by a rock or something. I have mine lower/mid level with a rock directly to the right (check my avatar) and it is growing like crazy! and frogspawn isn't that difficult to take care of. just have moderate lighting and it'll be fine. My tank is only almost 2 months old and frogspawn is doing great in mine.

also with clowns hosting, it depends if they were tank bred or not. mine were tank bred and they won't even look at the frogspawn. maybe they'll figure it out eventually and instinct will kick in lol. right now they hang in the back corners of the tank.

also with clowns hosting, it depends if they were tank bred or not. mine were tank bred and they won't even look at the frogspawn. maybe they'll figure it out eventually and instinct will kick in lol. right now they hang in the back corners of the tank.[/QUOTE]

excellent point...the first two percs I got were tank raised and always hung out in the corners. After the first one jumped I got a wild perc and it immediately went to one of the two pieces of frog spawn I have. The 2nd tank raised jumped and I went right out and got another wild perc. It too went right to the frog spawn. Neither of them look to the corners and they seem to be less eradatic with their swimming habits...IMO. Just keep in mind frog spawn have far reach and will sting surrounding corals. I had a green birds nest that was about 6 inches away and noticed it was starting to get stung.

Back