clown fish hiding or dead ?

ssmith-66!

We put smaller clown fish in the tank back in sept. they suddenly disappeared the following day- have not seen since - Did not have an anemone in the tank but lots of live rock with places to hide. Never saw any body parts floating around - only have a 55 gallon tank with 2 blue damsels and 1 cardinal lots of snails and crabs and 1 diamond back gobbie ... I think they are gone / dead .... but not positive ... any ideas ? do you think it is possible they are simply still hiding somewhere ?

I just started corals this weekend - i think i will wait to try clownfish again until I have a anemone for them to hide in - if they dont host it or disappear on me again I will probably not try them again in this tank - my snails are turbo snails and the craps are just hermit crabs .... I wouldnt think they would have bothered them ... my thought is one of the blue damsels ... but no evidence to support that... just a hunch they were being slightly aggressive and so was the cardinal ... I wont purchase smaller clowns next time either ... will get some more mature clowns ... thoughts ?

While the hermits likely didn’t kil the clowns, they would make them disappear once they died as saltwater fish generally sink when they die. Also it can be hit or miss on them hosting an anemone and can live without one.

As for more mature clowns, the only issue may be pairing. When establishing a pair, usually the dominant(and larger) one will be the female and smaller the male. It just depends on overall size though. I’ve seen small ones (about an inch) at my LFS, I’ve also seen about 2 inches in size and also larger

I hate clowns because they will bite when you try and clean your tank.
Some do, some don't. Tank size plays a part, as does species; less aggressive species, as well as non-breeders are less likely to be quite so territorial. If you want less chance of being bitten, go with oscellaris or perculas, and stay away from maroons, tomatoes or clarkiis.

Kevin

Back