Clown Fish Life Span... how long?

humuhumu

I've had my clown fish since 1991 when I was still in school. He (or she?) has been through many tanks (and wipeouts!) since I began this hobby. I couldn't find anything definitive in this forum and an internet search turned up a 3-5 year life span in captivity. Well, mine has been in my "captivity" for 16+ years! Anybody ever keep one this long? How about longer?

Here's a picture of him taken a couple years ago. He still appears to be doing well.

p424841773-3.jpg

Someone local to me has a pair for about the same time, 16 years or so. I think people have had 'em even longer though.

Thanks Blazer and Andrew, Twenty years!!! That's good to hear. I've gotten quite attached to him over the years and happy to hear he has a lot more to go.

My female is 10 yrs. and the male 7, (gold bar maroons) I had no Idea that they could live even this long, I's like having a child, never leaving home.

I saw one website of a pair of clowns that have been alive since the late 80's. 20+ years seems to be the longest in captivity.

I had a wild caught A. ocellaris (who knows how old when I first got it, since she was fully grown) for a little over 12 years. The TR male-now-female I have is close to 10.

Just curious, for those who have had them for a LONG time, before they passed away, was there any kind of slow deterioration of their health or did you find them turned upside down floating at the top (or bottom) of the tank?

Mine was a gradual (about 2 mos. time) but evident decline. She was fed a wide variety of foods, especially rich in algae, so I don't really attribute it to malnutrition--especially since the pair spawned every 2 weeks or so. Basically, she developed a blindness and could only bump into her food. Then, her internal organs began to shut down, she became sluggish and passed away.

Who would have thought that clown fish could live as long as horses! Mine is still a young one by these standards. Approximately 4 years old.

Back