Clown Fry Success

jmowbray

Well I'm happy to post that almost two weeks Tuesday my clowns at healthy and happy. They hatched on May 9th at 10pm. I estimate that when hatched I had approximately 60-70. However after the first 48 hours I had 50ish. I did notice on the ones that died just after hatching their tails were black while 90% of the other were just clear. Not sure what this means so anyone into clown please let me know. They receive a tank that has been culturing rotifers and green water for approximately one month before their introduction. They are currently on brine and I would say ~80% of them have went through meta. I have only had two deaths thus far. Yesterday morning they had developed their head stripe and this morning a few already have their tail stripe coming in. This is my first time ever breeding any SW fish and from what I have read only a few major clown breeders are able to attain 90% success rates in the transition through meta. I would say that with still around 50 remaining and showing no signs of anything but the need for FOOD I'm currently well above 90% and am quite happy.

Good job, the first batch I kept I had about the same amount as you hatch, I don't think I lost any through meta.

The second batch I only had 15 or so hatch.

It seams that my clowns lay 200 eggs, but I can only get a quarter to hatch if that.

How many dose yours lay?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Very cool. I have a pair that have been doing the dance. Waiting on their new home to cycle. Hopefully move them in another week or so.

Need some help from and clown breeders. I have noticed over the last few weeks quite a few of my fry during feeding time freak out. It's almost as if they're having a seizure. They swim around frantically all over the place and then collapse at the bottom of the tank respirating in heavily. I have no clue what's going on. Eventually they will catch their breath and get up and start swimming again and kind of be a little out of it. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Sorry I forgot to post that I found the solution. It's called sudden fright syndrome. It's a result of the lack of something called a highly unsaturated fatty acid. This is caused by exclusively feeding brine shrimp and not diversifying and feeding food with HUFA. I found out via a clown fish board on Facebook. Though the breeders have never seen this happen in clown fish before. I started feeding dry TDO chroma boost and the problem cleared right up. Here's a five week updAte video.

https://vimeo.com/171044159

Back