Clown won't leave host coral to eat

leevh

Hello everyone, we have a single perc that has been happy and healthy for about a year. He's been hosting a fairly large frogspawn for about 7 months. In the last week he's been so obsessed with it that he won't stop wriggling around in it even to eat. He still seems normal otherwise, happy and playing in the coral, just won't leave it alone to feed. His diet consists of a mix between frozen spirulina, blood worms and occasionally some flake food. 90g, low bioload, and water params have been good and stable. All other fish are normal.

Should I be concerned at this point? Thanks for any advice!

I don't know if this helps, but a couple of years ago when I started back in the hobby I purchased two occ clowns hoping they would pair. They would not eat, I tired everything, bring, Mysis, flakes, pellets, etc. I was beginning to panic, my friend suggested I get shrimp from the local Asian store and he gave me a wooden satay stick. I shelled the shrimp, and put a small piece on the end... that is when they earned the names of Oink and Oink the two piglet clownfish...they were like predators eating the shrimp, eventually after they gained weight I move them to more traditional food. Just a thought.

This is fairly normal, as clowns can get very attached to their hosts. I have a male ocellaris that will never lose contact with the tentacles of his anemone. Although he will lunge and grab food, he always stays within reach of the tentacles. His larger mate will roam all over the tank.

Back