Clownfish hosting my favia?

CrazyLionfish

I have a wild false percula from Bali in my 40 gallon reef tank. I made the decision not to get an anemone because it is easy for them to move and sting other corals etc.. So I assumed the clownfish would just host an anemone like coral.

Well my frogspawn sits alone while my clownfish rubs against and always sits by my favia, which definitly isn't anemone-like. Although, it appears hard to touch, the polyps of the favia come out a little and become spongy and soft, maybe this is why my clown like it so much? When he gets scared he goes and hides under it just like a clown does to an anemone. I know clowns will host in weird things, but never heard in a favia.

My clowns host in a red montipora, despite the fact that there is an RBTA on the other side of the tank. Go figure. Don't be surprised if your clown develops hypermelanization freckles from rubbing up against the corals.

--Christy

My clown hosted in my red montipora for about a year. When I moved my tank I reset my frogspawn higher in the rocks and the clown jumped right in.

Is hypermelanization freckles anything to worry about? Or just a minor irritation from the coral. Also, my clown doesn't rub against it really often, just occasionally, but always goes under it when scared and is almost always near it.

Back