Clownfish Jumping

KnownStrangeR

So i tried to be a badas* and set up one of the clownfish tanks like they have at MACNA with all the different clownfish swimming around. So far I have had two jumpers, a gorgeous black snowflake and an even nicer oynx picasso even with lids on they managed to escape (bye bye $$$$) . Going to watch carefully today for unwanted aggression but I may have to start thinning out the fish till i reach a happy level in the tank. Going to try and catch them all again and separate them out by species in their own tanks in what was to be my breeder setup for now.

Last edited:
If I had to look at your mug every day I would jump too...joke...too soon?

Sorry man...that really sucks!!! money down the drain...ugh. how are they getting through? have you tried making a mesh top? I know my two clowns started fighting when I wasnt looking...one bit the others lip off!!!!! they can be nasty!

hope u figure it out soon!

If I had to look at your mug every day I would jump too...joke...too soon?

Sorry man...that really sucks!!! money down the drain...ugh. how are they getting through? have you tried making a mesh top? I know my two clowns started fighting when I wasnt looking...one bit the others lip off!!!!! they can be nasty!

hope u figure it out soon!

I'm going to get rid of a couple to help recoop some money from the other losses and just focus on my reef tanks and breeding pairs right now rather than babysitting a bunch of kids (juvi clowns)
Only looking to sell two fish total just to get the numbers down to where I don't have to constantly be checking to see if they are all there.
If anyones interested in a Pair on black snowflakes (ProAquatix premium 1.5"-2") for $200 or a single for $110 let me know. Also willing to part with my Oynx Picasso since his intended mate jumped (also Proaquatix)really cool wavy pattern on this guy. also $110.

I'm going to get rid of a couple to help recoop some money from the other losses and just focus on my reef tanks and breeding pairs right now rather than babysitting a bunch of kids (juvi clowns)
Only looking to sell two fish total just to get the numbers down to where I don't have to constantly be checking to see if they are all there.
If anyones interested in a Pair on black snowflakes (ProAquatix premium 1.5"-2") for $200 or a single for $110 let me know. Also willing to part with my Oynx Picasso since his intended mate jumped (also Proaquatix)really cool wavy pattern on this guy. also $110.

Good luck with your sale. I was really only kidding in my previous post btw. Hope you didn't take it the wrong way. I love and hate this hobby. Fish are great, but I think I have lost more money in fish than coral combined which is why I don't have many of them. They always get sick, jump, pillage each other or just plain old die. I added 4 fish last month and only 3 made it :-/

Age probably 10-12 months I would guess, are they laying eggs yet?

They are too young to be egg layers, from what i hear it takes years to get them going. I currently have two nesting pairs and the females are both fairly large compared to these guys. They still are school together so i believe their roles have not yet been established. A pair of breeding black snowflakes would be a hot commodity these days. Split into pairs, and Given a little more time they are par for the course

Good luck with your sale. I was really only kidding in my previous post btw. Hope you didn't take it the wrong way. I love and hate this hobby. Fish are great, but I think I have lost more money in fish than coral combined which is why I don't have many of them. They always get sick, jump, pillage each other or just plain old die. I added 4 fish last month and only 3 made it :-/

Hey man, no offense taken at all. Funny how you view fish as well as i see them in the same sort of light. For how unbelievably successful we feel we have been on the coral side I can't even tell you some of the heartache on the fish end. I guess holding a personal attachment to them doesn't help much. No offense at all taken by your humor Jeff, in fact i got a solid laugh out of it. Glad that everyone is all on good terms around here and we can enjoy the boards :beer:

In regards to the clowns the all seem to be fine now ironically. They all sleep in a tight little ball and i have noticed little to no aggression amongst the remaining fish thus far. Ill be rearranging all of my setups tomorrow and breaking down two or three tanks to simplify things before school starts and probably moving some of these guys into grow out. Ideally i want to pair a black snowflake with a breeding darwin female (hint hint Zach :) )

Not sure if this would help in future at all, but with so many clowns in same tank make sure to feed them well and often.

I had 7 onyx/ocelaris from same spawn for a while. They did fight at first, rather badly between the 2-3 bigger ones, but after a week or so they seem to have went away. Imagine this can be the cause of the jumping attempts.

Anyways, about a month or so ago, I decided to cut back on feeding a bit due to some issues with chaeto culture that caused a bit too much algae in the display portion of the tank. This seem to have increased hatred between clowns again as I one morning I found two dead, looking a bit beat up as well as some of the remaining ones were a little frayed.

While I don't know for sure that they were killed by their brother clowns, but it what makes sense to me. A lot of fish, less food then they used to -> lets get rid of the ones we like the least and eat the most. What died were the middle sized one of the pack while 3 biggest ones and two tiny ones remained unharmed.

Needless to say I went back to the old feeding schedule little hair algae be damned :)

Not sure if this would help in future at all, but with so many clowns in same tank make sure to feed them well and often.

I had 7 onyx/ocelaris from same spawn for a while. They did fight at first, rather badly between the 2-3 bigger ones, but after a week or so they seem to have went away. Imagine this can be the cause of the jumping attempts.

Anyways, about a month or so ago, I decided to cut back on feeding a bit due to some issues with chaeto culture that caused a bit too much algae in the display portion of the tank. This seem to have increased hatred between clowns again as I one morning I found two dead, looking a bit beat up as well as some of the remaining ones were a little frayed.

While I don't know for sure that they were killed by their brother clowns, but it what makes sense to me. A lot of fish, less food then they used to -> lets get rid of the ones we like the least and eat the most. What died were the middle sized one of the pack while 3 biggest ones and two tiny ones remained unharmed.

Needless to say I went back to the old feeding schedule little hair algae be damned :)

I feed them to saturation 4 or 5 times a day and the aggression is minimal. I think i may have lost ones to the lights turning on without dimmers as I always had one jump tonight when i turned the lights on after hours to show my friend the tank. Got some screens going over top tomm morning so no more worrying on the jumpers. Throw up some pictures of your clowns though! they sound awesome

In regards to the clowns the all seem to be fine now ironically. They all sleep in a tight little ball and i have noticed little to no aggression amongst the remaining fish thus far. Ill be rearranging all of my setups tomorrow and breaking down two or three tanks to simplify things before school starts and probably moving some of these guys into grow out. Ideally i want to pair a black snowflake with a breeding darwin female (hint hint Zach :) )
Hey man, I have the 40 breeder for you. I think I am going to be heading over your way on Sunday but if you need it sooner I can bring it by this afternoon. Let me know.

I seem to have this same luck. Fish for me are hit or miss. I have had far more fish deaths than corals as well. Makes me not even want to attempt to dump money on an expensive fish. I was in Living Reef the other day and saw that Peppermint Angel. I would need a prescription of Xanax and a separate insurance policy for the fish. lol

I seem to have this same luck. Fish for me are hit or miss. I have had far more fish deaths than corals as well. Makes me not even want to attempt to dump money on an expensive fish. I was in Living Reef the other day and saw that Peppermint Angel. I would need a prescription of Xanax and a separate insurance policy for the fish. lol

lol on the Xanax prescription. I feel like this hobby requires some deep breaths and woo saaaas at times. Today i will be tackling some plumbing fun (my most hated thing to do ever) and a few beers are in order to keep the stress levels down. Plumbing party over here for anyone who wants to join!

Like your rock scape a lot Michael. What type of rock do you have in there?

It's http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-pukani-dry-aquarium-live-rock-1.html

Think you had some curing for a long time? I just did a quick acid soak on them and cured for like two weeks and in it went :)

Seems to be fine just like that, although I do have a rather large area in the sump dedicated to algae growing and a bit over sized skimmer to help with any possibly leeching that the rock may still be doing.

Although, I think my feeding the fish and coral bring a lot more extra nutrients to worry about than anything the rock can contribute :)

Here's one of my black snows just hanging out near the glass

And here is the pair of ProAquatix Premium Blacker Ice i just got as well

Back