Clownfish laid eggs... Now what?

Kdocimo90

Superior Member
I thought I'd post this question... My clownfish really didnt lay any eggs but I think it would be good to be prepared for when that day comes (if it comes) and I think it would help others...

Would anyone like to share a detailed procedure of what to do?

If the eggs are laid, and you aren't ready.... you're too late. You pretty much must have a live steady supply of live food prior to lay and hatch.

that is why im asking lol.. to help me if this ever happens.. and to help others if this ever happens.......

In my case, I'd be pleased to get some extra live food for the corals. ;) I wouldnt bother trying to raise them, it's quite the hassle (but can surely be done).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13639423#post13639423 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crvz
In my case, I'd be pleased to get some extra live food for the corals. ;) I wouldnt bother trying to raise them, it's quite the hassle (but can surely be done).

but would it be worth it to raise a batch or two to sell when the clownfish are big enough?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13639544#post13639544 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by makavelli911
sure. why not you need money for that rke.
lol mak... Yeah as you can see im trying to sell some of my stuff already in our local forum. A few people are interested but no one really seroius about buying

There is an excellent bood by Joyce Wilkerson, "Clownfish". with details on breeding and raisingthem . I've tried it. The process entails raisng phytoplankton to feed rotifers which nedd to fed to fry during the first 2 weeks or so and need to be maintained at very high densities. After that baby brine and then on to regular foods. It's not complicated or expensive but is labor intensive(lots of water changes and cultures to manage) and the fry are very delicate during the first few weeks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13639438#post13639438 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kdocimo90
but would it be worth it to raise a batch or two to sell when the clownfish are big enough?

normal clowns? not sure that a) the expense of setting up the tank and culturing live food and b) the amount of time it takes to maintain that system is worth it in my opinion. It can take up to a year to raise them to a good size for selling, and what you'll find is that you'll flood your market almost instantly. A clutch can become 200 clownfish easily, and after the 10-20 people you find local to buy a pair, now you have 100+ fish to do something with. That's what I've seen in our area. A couple folks have sold, and they always have more than they can sell. Not saying it wouldnt be profitable, but I wouldnt really consider it unless I had a rare pair that could bring in more than ~$10 per fish.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13642206#post13642206 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kdocimo90
well i have goldstripe maroon clowns.. is taht considered normal?

In my opinion, they're pretty common. Others may disagree. I was thinking one of the more uncommon morphs of percula or ocellaris, ones with fancy names like picaso, misbar, etc.

In my opinion. if you have the time and wan't to do the work. It is worth it for the experience in any case.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13643399#post13643399 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kdocimo90
well is it still worth it though to raise a batch or two of the GSMs?

Well you have to define "worth it." Financially, you probably won't lose money if you're successful getting them past the first few months. But it's not simple. I don't know what the costs are for getting/growing live food, that would be the big factor. To me, the biggest impact is time involved, I know early on they have to be fed a few times a day at least and require a pretty dark setup. Hardware needed is pretty minimal, so I wouldnt worry about setting up a fancy tank with lights and filtration or anything.

Get the book recommended, and check out the breeding forum. You can probably get some more precise advice there. Honestly, one of the hardest parts will be finding buyers if you have hundreds of clowns to sell. Locally I wouldnt expect to unload them all, but if you're comfortable shipping then it may eventually be profitable.

edit: also, as I recall, the first couple clutches will have very high death rates (regardless of husbandry), so you'll probably need to get through a few rounds before having success. Just keep this in mind.

Last edited:
Back