Club website?

RCS

In Memoriam
Has anyone ever thought about putting together a club website? I know we're not "official", but I don't think we need to be. I'd be more than happy to host some profiles and pictures on my website until the time comes when we decide to start collecting dues and doing official club business (if it ever comes).

I just thought it would be a nice place for some photos and meeting information aside from simply the forum here. I wouldn't plan on adding a forum section, so it would be mostly informational. I could maybe put together a frag-trading/selling section on there.

If we do come to an agreement, I'd be looking for some design help as well, and everyone is welcome to offer input of course.

I could host a website too if needed, or help in creating one.

I believe we have a club logo. Someone drew up a cool logo a while back, but I haven't seen it in a long time.

For me I always really liked the way our club works just a bunch of crazy reefers getting together when they can with no strings attached and I don't want to see that change. I like the idea you have here and I am not a guru at anything reef or computer kinda just a jack of all trades and master of none but if it costs money to do something like that then I would be willing to donate my fair share to be able to use it. But I would hate to go and put in dues and make our club some kind of formal thing. Maybe I am wrong and people like that sort of thing its just not for me. Just my opinion

I know we're not "official", but I don't think we need to be.

I'll quote myself because I want to make it perfectly clear I'm in way insinuating that we should change anything club-wise at all. I just thought a website (wherever it's hosted or by whom) would be a nice way to bring some of the more club-specific information together. Sometimes searching around on the forum can be a pain, especially for new members. And we could keep it simple, like use it for club meetings and directions (in addition to the forum) and have a link to the forum for discussion.

I'm not anticipating any costs for this, especially since it appears there are a few of us who have websites and space available as it is.

I think a small site explaining who we are as a club may be a good thing. I mean, yes we don't charge dues, and yes we are free. but I'm tired of epliaining to people how to find the club in the forum... a nice easy to find site with a link and some info might be nice.

I definetly don't support moving the fro the forum... perhaps that would also allow us to place some stuff on thesite that RC policy does not permit on this site... whatever it may be.

I also think, that - though Joe and Barry are awesome people and their commitment to the birth and infancy growth that the club/group underwent and is still undergoing, I do not think we ever officially accepted a logo - one was assigned by an overzellous third party member that no longer visits.

Someone feel free to correct me.

I also think that a site would allow us a clean area to put important info about which lfs's we agree with the proper retail husbandry practice in regard to reef and marine aquaria. (ie: where to shop) and other thread links which are frequently used.

I do not however wish to have another and I stress ANOTHER site that I must log into, and another email I must check.

J

And I have no problem sending the establishment 5$ if they need it, but enjoy the free-ness man.... You know man??? Free Like the birds man?

Didn't think you were Fred, sorry if my post came off like that. I think its a very cool idea and I would not have any problem chipping in to pay for any costs if there were any. Its just me and fighting the establishment :lol: :lol: I came from pretty close to the flower children era you know down with the man and all. I like things simple I guess.

Mike.
You Rebel!!!!!
I'm okay with chipping in a few bucks for an informative website (maybe a place to post a few frags for sale or to set up a group buy without "big brother" watching over our shoulder.
But rules, dues, officers, I don't know that we are in need of that.
Then again???
I don't propose to have cornered the market on wisdom. If the rest feel the need for more structure then........
jandlms
Jon

I've also got plenty of space remaining if needed. If someone does set one up otherwise, Joomla is a nice portal and can snap in other gallery software and forums, etc.

Isn't finished, and without a login you wont see much, but here's one I have almost finished for another of my hobbies and the group I belong to.

http://www.valleycorps.org

LOL, you guys are taking this way too seriously!

Personally, I also like the way the club is, and wouldn't want to change it. I really don't see a need for as small a "membership" as we've currently got. It would probably cause more issues than it would resolve. I've heard say that the critical number of "members" before going formal is 50. We've got a long way to go for that yet.

I think a small site explaining who we are as a club may be a good thing. I mean, yes we don't charge dues, and yes we are free. but I'm tired of epliaining to people how to find the club in the forum... a nice easy to find site with a link and some info might be nice.

Jason pretty much summed up what I was thinking. Not all local people are or will be RC members, so having more of an easily-accessiblr "public face" would help with promoting the club, and provide simpler access for informational purposes.

Again, I can't see any cost involved (other than time) and I wouldn't ask anyone to pitch in at all. I'd be perfectly willing to host it for free.

I say, put a cookie cutter together and lets vote. I mean, we'll bring it to the 15-20 mombers we've got I think it's a great Idea, but beleive the forum should stay where it is for now and the planning for now.

J

You write the code and I'll put it up through my time warner account. I dont use it for anything right now anyway.

I think a basic site would be good thing, The club is great but it took me awhile to barely stumble across it. (I never really spent time on the computer b4 this, little gaming and "surfin" but no chat clubs or pic sharing)

If in the local fish stores if there was a little post-it on the pin board with a website for a local saltwater fish club, I probably would have been here awhile back. So even if it only pans out to be a link and some pics I think it would be great.

blows how? as far as bandwidth alloted or just disk quota?

I know that the disk quota isnt huge.. something like 6megs, But I"ve not had problems with it when I used it in the past.

Bandwidth is good (for surfing with standard and light rr) but disk space and options are very limited. I found you are much better off paying a small hosting fee thru a third party such as yahoo or godaddy who allow you to own a domain name and address. You also have a much more flexibility as far as upload formats, upgradability, and traffic. If you want similar options from TW you almost need to go thru there business options dept. For what we pay for TW services, they could give some diskspace, my free Yahoo mail account my 1G of diskspace! This isn't the 80's anymore! Yesterdays Megs are todays Gigs are tomorrows Terabytes!

I would like to see a site where member tank photos or meet pictures can be uploaded without losing them in threads. Also maybe a calendar page where important dates can easily be found for meets without reading 6 pages of threads to find the date, Just keep it cheap, seems to be working ..!

I know this thread is old, but I've just found it and decided to add my answer here. First of all, it was a great idea to build such a site. Speaking about the ways of creation, I'm not a web designer, but I built a site with the help of a website builder. I should say, it was really easy to do. If someone is interested, I recommend to check a review of the most popular website builders on https://www.beautifullife.info/web-design/15-best-free-website-builders/. Hopefully, this info will be useful for you!

Back