coding help for a manually triggered AWC

jacksonpt

I'm trying to program my Apex Jr to do a semi-automated water change. I've got a fully automated setup now, but for a variety of reasons, I want to start the process manually.

My thought process is taking me in this direction: I manually turn off the return pump outlet, which triggers the following -
- ATO outlet to turn off
- the AWC drain pump to turn on, run for 6 minutes, then turn back off
- the AWC supply pump wait 6 minutes, then turn on for 10 minutes, then turn off

Then at some later time, I would manually switch the return pump outlet back to ON. Could be 30 minutes later, could be 2hrs later.

Getting the ATO pump to switch off is easy.
Fallback: ON
Set: ON
If ReturnPump = Off Then OFF

Getting the drain pump to switch on and run for a set period of time seems easy, but is this the correct use of DEFER?
Fallback: OFF
Set: OFF
If ReturnPump = Off Then ON
Defer 06:00 Then OFF

But how to do I ensure this cycle happens exactly once, regardless of how long the return pump is switched to OFF?

Controlling the supply pump is where I'm really struggling. I'm pretty sure this won't work, but here's where I'm at with it.
Fallback: OFF
Set: OFF
If ReturnPump = OFF then ON
Min Time 06:00 Then ON
Defer 16:00 then OFF

Any help is appreciated. And if I'm going about this completely wrong, please say so (i.e, are feed cycles a better option). No reason to square peg it if I don't have to.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
I would seperate the return pump OFF from the rest. That way, the AWC doesn't run everytime you turn off the return. Eg if it fails or it needs cleaning or a snail gets stuck in it etc.

In case anyone stumbles on this in the future... I was able to get it figured out.

Virtual Outlets

[VO-AWC]
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
Min Time 15:00 Then ON

[VO-AWCtimer]
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Outlet VO-AWC=ON Then ON
Defer 8:00 Then ON

Physical Outlets

[ATO]
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Outlet VO-AWC=ON Then OFF

[AWCdrain]
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Outlet VO-AWCtimer=ON Then OFF

[AWCfill]
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
Defer 5:00 Then ON

Sequence -

• [VO-AWC] is manually turned on
  • [VO-AWCtimer] is triggered to ON... Defer 5:00 then ON starts
  • [ATO] is triggered to OFF
  • [AWCdrain] is triggered to ON, old tank water begins being pumped out
  • [AWCfill] is triggered to ON... Defer 5:00 then ON starts

After 5 minutes...
  • Defer statement in [AWCfill] expires and the outlet turns on, new water is starts being pumped in

After 8 minutes...
  • Defer statement in [VO-AWCtimer] expires and the outlet turns ON
  • [AWCdrain] sees [VO-AWCtimer] is now ON and turns off, water being pumped out stops

After 15 minutes...
  • Min Time statement in [VO-AWC] expires and the the outlet turns OFF
  • [VO-AWCtimer] is triggered to OFF
  • [ATO] is triggered back to ON
  • [AWCdrain] is triggered and remains OFF
  • [AWCfill] is triggered to OFF

Yes. I can't do a full water change without my return running dry, unless I have new water going in as old water is coming out. This was never on my radar when I set baffle placement in my sump.

Back