Collecting from Ocean

firewill65

Is there a list anywhere of what we are allowed to collect from a non protected part of the ocean with a fishing license? Does anyone here collect for their tank? Is this something that is frowned upon? I realized live rock is not allowed but maybe a shrimp, crab, urchin?

Thanks

There's a pretty good list in the Florida fishing regulations. I know they used to protest people capturing stuff around the Blue Heron Bridge but it was totally legal. I'll see if I can find a link to the regs for you.

I tend to stay away from corals since theres not much own here you can take anyways. And also because theres alot of grey area or rules that sound confusing in regards to taking zoanthids, gorgonians, anemones, etc.

I tend to stick to fish like angels, butterflies, tangs, gobies, etc and also crabs and shrimp since the rules are a bit easier to understand.

The collection of tropical/ornamental aquarium species, including both plants and animals, is prohibited in Biscayne National Park. Make sure your outside the Park when harvesting or it could cost a ticket.

What's the preferred method of collecting fish. I agree, it's more clear with fish... They list the fish and a size.

Ive use hand nets, slurp guns and cast nets used more like barrier nets to corral the fish or sometimes dropping it on them.

i tend to stay away from corals since theres not much own here you can take anyways. And also because theres alot of grey area or rules that sound confusing in regards to taking zoanthids, gorgonians, anemones, etc.

I tend to stick to fish like angels, butterflies, tangs, gobies, etc and also crabs and shrimp since the rules are a bit easier to understand.

+1

I thought you could not take anything from blue heron bridge period. Isn't it a State park now?

there is a sign at Blue Heron. It says "no commercial collecting of tropical species".

I interpret "commercial" as "resale" - so if you are planning to resale, you can't collect there. That's how I've been operating...

A substantial number of the regular divers there like to interpret that as a "no collection" period. They can be somewhat militant about it, despite the fact hobby collection is actually legal.

look up coral morphologic. just came back from their lab and WOW. way more than just another coral retailer. the people, facilities and livestock are all top notch especially if youre looking for caribbean stock

there is a sign at Blue Heron. It says "no commercial collecting of tropical species".

I interpret "commercial" as "resale" - so if you are planning to resale, you can't collect there. That's how I've been operating...

Once you step foot in the parks you now fall under parks
Rules that are under chapter 21 in the county codes . That really
Don't like when you collect there because they are trying to
Build a population of fish and coral for the divers and and
Guess that vist the parks

A substantial number of the regular divers there like to interpret that as a "no collection" period. They can be somewhat militant about it, despite the fact hobby collection is actually legal.

+1

Based on what I know about Blue Heron Bridge. Legal or not, expect to have a drama filled day should any of the regulars see you collecting.

+1

Based on what I know about Blue Heron Bridge. Legal or not, expect to have a drama filled day should any of the regulars see you collecting.

Exactly why I don't collect there. On the other hand, if your just collecting lionfish, most of them will actually be pleased, and might even point you to where they last saw some. Touch a seahorse, and you might find yourself taken your life in your hands.

In some respects I understand the desire to see no collecting in that spot. Literally hundreds of divers on any weekend day. From what I've heard, weekdays might not be much better. If just a fraction are hobby collectors, it wouldn't take long to strip the area with such concentrated fishing effort in one location.

Guys thanks for all the comments. I think it will be easier to just buy a shrimp at my lfs and not have to worry about taking from a reef and/or getting a fine. I've never been diving at blue heron, so thank you for the new spot...I will be checking it out in the near future.

How does it compare to the reef near datura ave?

Exactly why I don't collect there. On the other hand, if your just collecting lionfish, most of them will actually be pleased, and might even point you to where they last saw some. Touch a seahorse, and you might find yourself taken your life in your hands.

In some respects I understand the desire to see no collecting in that spot. Literally hundreds of divers on any weekend day. From what I've heard, weekdays might not be much better. If just a fraction are hobby collectors, it wouldn't take long to strip the area with such concentrated fishing effort in one location.

That's just messed up, LOL! I can see them trying to protect "their turf", but truth is its everyone's turf. I can see if someone is careless and tears the place up trying to collect, but man, give me a break! I'm all about proper etiquette on the water. I try to give people space, and try not to bother people if they are on fish. Sounds like these people will go out of their way to give you a hard time:hmm2:

Firewill,

Some people really rave about Blue Heron, but I've always felt it was a pretty mediocre dive. It's basically a silty bottom and a bunch of encrusted bridge pilings (along with piles of assorted debris). Because Lake Worth Inlet (near BHB) is so close to the Gulf Stream, some pretty unusual critters settle on the bridge. But other than the odd batfish or frogfish, the dive isn't in the same league as Broward's incredible beach dives. You should still check it out, but don't set your bar too high (It is a decent night dive. Several of the local dive shops offer nighttime parking passes for specified nights). I rub my head when people describe Blue Heron as the best dive they've ever been on. Don't get me started on the goofballs who take it upon themselves to protect the bridge from evil recreational marine life collectors...it's ridiculous!!

As far as collecting goes....I'm not sure why so many people in the reef hobby have a negative perception of legally collecting your own marine organisms. Unless you buy 100% aquacultured livestock at the local fish store, your tank's inhabitants are still wild collected...just from someone else's backyard. I encourage you to carefully read FWC's regulations regarding the collection of marine ornamentals. For the most part, they're pretty straightforward. Peppermint shrimp, coral banded shrimp, blue-legged hermits, emerald crabs, etc. are all fun and legal to collect for your tank. I think it really adds a cool element to our hobby. Just use self control when it comes to collecting fishes. Many of our most attractive fishes (e.g., juvenile angelfish) require a ton of room as they mature. If it won't fit in your tank when it's full grown, it's probably best to leave it in the ocean. Gobies and blennies are a good starting point.

Make sure you're swimming far enough out at Datura. The best reef starts twice the length of the pier from shore.

Back