Collecting man eating amphipods.

Paul B

Premium Member
Today was a beautiful day so my wife and I went out with my friend and his wife to anchor where we always go a few yards off a tide pool in the Long Island Sound. I went to this spot yesterday and collected more amphipods that I could fit in my tank so I wasn't really collecting today. Just checking out the killer amphipods and other sea life. Our wives stayed in the boat and spoke about women things, I have no idea what that is, and don't want to. My closest friend and dive partner narrated this Spielberg film. These are videos and it was an underwater camera so you have to put your volume up.

I go there almost every day. My wife just saw this video and said, Wow, you look like a Moose. It is a Hero 3 camera and it only comes with a wide angle lens so I do look 50 lbs heavier. But I am not real skinny either way. And I am a Man, so who cares.

Looks like a load of fun, Paul! Maybe you should start a YouTube channel to chronicle your adventures and to pass on some of your lessons. Geez, unless you already have, of course! :)

By the way, I'm glad to hear your wife is out and about.

No I didn't as I don't even know how to do that and I don't think to many people would care. I did take 3 or 4 other vidio's today and when UI have time, I will post them.
I go to that place a few times a week in the summer.

I have a theory. I collected to many amphipods in the Long Island Sound so I am giving a few thousand away to someone who is coming tomorrow to take them, but in the meantime I am keeping them in a bare tank as I can't put them in my reef as it is overwhelmed with them already.
I have to change the water twice a day as there is no bacteria or anything else in there and these things eat so much. I think they are a fantastic, free, self maintaining clean up crew. I have collected these things all my life and I just thought of them as food, for the fish, not me although I never tasted them. I was thinking last night about this. I was thinking mostly about Supermodels but amphipods also came through. There is no algae in my tank, but there should be. I have an algae trough but there is no algae growing in it, just amphipods, tubeworms and brittle stars. I feed the amphipods in the spare tank with flakes or pellets and they are all over it like a cheap suit. A pellet has a life span as long as Lindsey Lohan's fame.
I am thinking that these suckers that are all over my tank are eating any algae as soon as it grows. I could be wrong as I am wrong about most things including ways to grow hair. Amphipods are also legal as there is no commercial use for them that I know of. There is no "Save the Amphipod" movements. I am going to look for some algae and if I find some, I will put some in the little pod tank I have to see if they eat it. If they do, I will set up a small pool in my yard and raise some just for kicks because I can't harvest them in my reef. I can collect them every day but I have a life and any minute a Supermodel may come knocking at my door.
This may be bigger than the internet, bigger than Myley Cyrus, more important them Spam or Hamburger helper. :uhoh3:

Video

ok, that ^ was one of your all time best posts! dirty bugs and super models. your interests vary widely!

happy to see mrs. b is doing well. :)

Does anyone else use Garrison Keillor's voice in their head when reading Paul's posts? If not, you should search for podcasts of Prarie Home Companion and listen to a few. I think you'll find yourself using that voice like my brain does.

Can't you figure out how big they are by the ones in my hand?
Depending on how big your screen is you can get an idea there. They look like Godzilla larvae on my monitor as it is like a drive in movie monitor which doesn't exist any more, at least not here on Long Island. If you are reading this on your smart phone, your phone may be smarter than you. That tank is 8"X8"

Here is a close up. If this is not close enough, put your face close to your screen and squint. If you want to see a video, move your head from side to side. :lol:

Last edited:
I think Paul was an amphipod in a previous life :D

BTW, yes they do eat some algae ;)

Back