Collection?

Lol at the fin comment! Thanks for all the info!

Lol it wasn't supposed to be a sarcastic comment.. Although now that I look at it it seems as such if you don't know different kinds of fins.

The picture I posted are of long blade fins for freedivers. They have massive amounts of power if your legs are strong enough for them. About double the size of a regular scuba diver fin!

I also use them scuba diving for spearfishing..

281486_10150744598400305_7255294_n.jpg

I went yesterday by my house and found a bunch of what looks like small nassarius snails. I'm hoping that's what they were? Can anyone tell me which snail I find are reef safe and which are not? Thanks!

I went yesterday by my house and found a bunch of what looks like small nassarius snails. I'm hoping that's what they were? Can anyone tell me which snail I find are reef safe and which are not? Thanks!

Sure can! just need a pic :)

I still haven't figured out how to post pics with my iphone! they look just like the nassarius snails i have seen online and in stores. Are there any other snails in Florida that look like Nassarius snails? I just dont want to add anything not reef safe. I found them on the flats when the tide went out. thanks for any help I can get!

They should be nasarius but there are a few that look very similar to nass that are actually predatory snail and they'll chomp down on the real nassarius. I'll see if i can find the link

Thanks so much for that post!!! Those are exactly what I found yesterday. There are 10000s of them where i go and easy to pick up. After reading that I deff have nassarius and not whelks. All of my snails buried themselves in the sand as soon as i put them in my tank. Glad to know I can get a new CUC whenever i need one.

Thanks so much for that post!!! Those are exactly what I found yesterday. There are 10000s of them where i go and easy to pick up. After reading that I deff have nassarius and not whelks. All of my snails buried themselves in the sand as soon as i put them in my tank. Glad to know I can get a new CUC whenever i need one.

No problem :)
just make sure overstock your tank with nass and starve them. That's pretty hard to do though.. 2 per gallon ought to be a good limit if you have a nice sand bed.

Is that 2:1 ratio the same with any size? These I got were pretty small and I put like 30 in my 12 gallon pod...They were like 1/3' long some were a bit bigger....I have a 2' sandbed as well. but no livestock yet. Should I add something for them to feed on?

If you have algae in the tank they should be fine. If you don't it's probably not a bad idea to add a little food for them to scavenge.

Yeah really depends on how clean your tank already is, how many fish, if you're feeding your corals, etc. 30 shouldnt be a problem. I meant if you had a 150g tank, don't put 500 in there.

They won't get much bigger than 1/3rd an inch. Imo, if you can find cerith snail theyre the best. They do the sand and glass.

got it thanks. I will add some food because they are the first living things besides rock and sand that I have added to my tank. Thanks again! Im gonna head back and look for some crabs today.

Where did you get them, I could do with a few seen as my sand looks like my walls after my son found a marker pen.

Crabs, you'll only find white and brown legs in shore. Niether is really bad.. just don't grab the big jumbo ones. the white and brown should be the same size or smaller than a regular blue leg. ime the best money spent is on red leg hermits. They last me about 2 years each where the brown ones only make it a few months. Or just go all snails and never worry about a crab eating a snail for dinner :)

Back