Collospongia Auris vs Cyanos

For a long period of time my tank has been plagued by red cyano in corners with limited water circulation. When I introduced a Collospongia Auris the cyano disappeared overnight!
Recently I had the opportunity to discuss sponges with an academic scientist specializing in sponges. He mentioned that several photosynthetic sponges have a symbiotic relationship with cyanos that grow within the sponges. That made think about the possibility that the Collospongia-associated cyanos may compete with the free-living red cyanos. Therefore, addition of the collospongia may caused the red cyano to disappear.

Are there anyone else with a similar experience? Would be fantastic if a Collospongia colony could be "the cure" for red cyanos.

I can't see how adding this sponge to your system could eliminate cyano overnight. I would question this. :)

Just FYI, I have read several threads regarding Collospongia Auris. Apparently it can become quite a nuisance and slowly cover your rock. ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14981266#post14981266 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HighlandReefer
I can't see how adding this sponge to your system could eliminate cyano overnight. I would question this. :)

Just FYI, I have read several threads regarding Collospongia Auris. Apparently it can become quite a nuisance and slowly cover your rock. ;)

Let me say that I was quite surprised myself. 11 mo with cyanos and then they vanished essentially overnight!

One month into this experiment and still no detectable cyanos! Would be interested to hear if anyone else has made this observation?

Sponges contain a multitude of pharmacologically active compounds. What if sponges also can produces substances capable of killing cyanos? Like certain molds produce substances that kill germs (like penicillin)?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15159925#post15159925 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drstupid
could be: coincidence.
Absolutely. Therefore it would be interesting to hear if someone else has made the same observation.

I think this particular species of sponge is symbiotic with cyanobacteria like corals with zooxanthellae...Anthony Calfo told me this at his visit to Greece.I am almost sure it was that sponge.There was in a 500G tank , it kept an area of 10 inches, and it didn't have to do anything with cyano occurence, though....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15161434#post15161434 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tasos
I think this particular species of sponge is symbiotic with cyanobacteria like corals with zooxanthellae...Anthony Calfo told me this at his visit to Greece.I am almost sure it was that sponge.There was in a 500G tank , it kept an area of 10 inches, and it didn't have to do anything with cyano occurence, though....
Yes, that seems to be correct. This photosynthetic sponge is symbiotic w cyanos. But you mean that in spite of an area being covered by the sponge, there was still red cyanos growing elsewhere in the tank?

Re: Collospongia Auris vs Cyanos

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14980993#post14980993 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by subarcticreef
For a long period of time my tank has been plagued by red cyano in corners with limited water circulation. When I introduced a Collospongia Auris the cyano disappeared overnight!
Recently I had the opportunity to discuss sponges with an academic scientist specializing in sponges. He mentioned that several photosynthetic sponges have a symbiotic relationship with cyanos that grow within the sponges. That made think about the possibility that the Collospongia-associated cyanos may compete with the free-living red cyanos. Therefore, addition of the collospongia may caused the red cyano to disappear.

Are there anyone else with a similar experience? Would be fantastic if a Collospongia colony could be "the cure" for red cyanos.

Did you introduce the Sponge to your tank or to your sump, just curious. :)

Where did you find the sponge?

Edit: After some reading, I'm not certain I want to know. This sponge seems to have a reputation for overgrowing and shading things like gorgonianss and corals.

Last edited:
The sponge is in the display tank. I am not so concerned over the risk over overgrowing. At least in my tank, it grows less fast than the Anthelia and some other softies.

I bought it in a store.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15167519#post15167519 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wayne in norway
I suppose another possibility is the nutrient competing with the cynao for nutrients.
Yes, that is certainly possible. The red cyaon did, however, disappear very rapidly which to me suggests that is released something rather than remowing nutrients.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15169998#post15169998 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by subarcticreef
I bought it in a store.
What city was that store in, if you don't mind my asking? I've never seen that particular sponge for sale in Phoenix, AZ.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15204661#post15204661 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KarlBob
What city was that store in, if you don't mind my asking? I've never seen that particular sponge for sale in Phoenix, AZ.
I live in Switzerland and bought it here. I have, however, seen this sponge in several stores that I have visited in the US so I do not think it is to difficult to get hold of.

Have been away for two weeks and my daughter has been taking care of the tank. She likes to feed the fish so the phophate level has gone up and there is plenty of macros. But no cyanos and the collospongia has not overgrown anything (in contrast to the Anthelia).

if you doesed a cyano killer like red slime remover, would it kill the cyano that lives symbioticaly with the sponge? also, to "test" your theory, why not add some cyano from a locals tank and see what happens?

come on......inm the name of science! i will subscribe to this thread if you do.

Back