Colorful Fish for 30-40 Gallon Tank

Zionas

As a first-timer, I am looking for a colorful fish that's good for a beginner and suitable for a 30-40 gallon tank. Since the tank is on the small side, I know my options will be fairly limited. I love the Ocellaris clowns, but in these last two days I'm leaning more and more towards the Tomato Clown because I really like its red coloring. I'm more than awareness of the fact that compared to the Ocellaris, the Tomato is a semi-aggressive species. While there's still a good chance I'll be getting a pair of Ocellaris or Pajama Cardinals, I'm considering some semi-aggressive species too in case I opt for the Tomato instead of the Ocellaris pair. Some species I have in mind are:

-Four / Six / Eight-Line Wrasse (semi-aggressive, will get if I choose Tomato over Ocellaris)

-McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (peaceful, will get if I stick with Ocellaris pair)

-Royal Gramma (peaceful, Ocellaris)

-Blackcap Basslet (semi-aggressive, Tomato)

-Orchid / Purple / Royal / Yellow / Australian Dottyback (semi-aggressive, Tomato)

-Flame / Falco / Red / Longnose Hawkfish (semi-aggressive, Tomato)-I want a CuC so can I still get a hawk?

-Dwarf or Pygmy Angelfish (I'd love one but I'm not sure if they're hardy enough for a new tank that may not be completely stable yet, Ocellaris or Tomato) *Many day the best would be a Coral Beauty, but I have heard than the Coral Beauty is on the somewhat less hardy side for a beginner fish. Some think other species are hardier than the Coral Beauty but I'm not sure which.

-Blue Chromis pair (nice little fish but I heard they're less hardy than other damsels and clowns, Ocellaris)

-A goby and / or Blenny (I'll only be keeping these with the Ocellaris pair and I don't think a hawk would leave these alone)

-Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse, Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse (I will only be keeping these with an Ocellaris pair and I won't pair a Six-Line with these)

-Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse

-Christmas Wrasse, Adorned Wrasse, Red Lined Wrasse, Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres genus)

*Special Mention: I've been looking at the Chinese online fish dealer based in Guangzhou that I plan to buy livestock from. They've got a Twinspot (Candy Yellow Hogfish?) and the Pacific Red Lined Hogfish (?). They look absolutely stunning and I'd love one of them, but I am not sure how easy they are for a total noob and whether they need a bigger tank. I'd only keep the Twinspot with an Ocellaris pair but if I opt for the Tomato Clown I'd go for the red one.

If anyone knows species that I haven't mentioned that eat well, eat a variety of foods, are generally hardly and suitable for a novice (and most of all, attractive and colorful), let me know!

The centerpiece of my tank, I would like it to be a Wrasse or a dwarf angel, perhaps both.

Sorry I meant Green Chromis pair. Assuming I put two fish into my tank to start with, what would go well with a Tomato Clown? Obviously, if I choose to stay with an Ocellaris or PJ Cardinal pair they's be the first fish in the tank.

Triple post. RG and Blackcap aren't always available in Asia and command a high price. I would get my hands on one of them if I end up choosing a peaceful tank setup with the PJs or the Ocellaris but there's a good chance I won't be able to find one easily as they're from the other side of the world.

As a first-timer, I am looking for a colorful fish that's good for a beginner and suitable for a 30-40 gallon tank. Since the tank is on the small side, I know my options will be fairly limited. I love the Ocellaris clowns, but in these last two days I'm leaning more and more towards the Tomato Clown because I really like its red coloring. I'm more than awareness of the fact that compared to the Ocellaris, the Tomato is a semi-aggressive species. While there's still a good chance I'll be getting a pair of Ocellaris or Pajama Cardinals, I'm considering some semi-aggressive species too in case I opt for the Tomato instead of the Ocellaris pair. Some species I have in mind are:

-Four / Six / Eight-Line Wrasse (semi-aggressive, will get if I choose Tomato over Ocellaris)

-McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (peaceful, will get if I stick with Ocellaris pair)

-Royal Gramma (peaceful, Ocellaris)

-Blackcap Basslet (semi-aggressive, Tomato)

-Orchid / Purple / Royal / Yellow / Australian Dottyback (semi-aggressive, Tomato)

-Flame / Falco / Red / Longnose Hawkfish (semi-aggressive, Tomato)-I want a CuC so can I still get a hawk?

-Dwarf or Pygmy Angelfish (I'd love one but I'm not sure if they're hardy enough for a new tank that may not be completely stable yet, Ocellaris or Tomato) *Many day the best would be a Coral Beauty, but I have heard than the Coral Beauty is on the somewhat less hardy side for a beginner fish. Some think other species are hardier than the Coral Beauty but I'm not sure which.

-Green Chromis pair (nice little fish but I heard they're less hardy than other damsels and clowns, Ocellaris)

-A goby and / or Blenny (I'll only be keeping these with the Ocellaris pair and I don't think a hawk would leave these alone)

-Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse, Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse (I will only be keeping these with an Ocellaris pair and I won't pair a Six-Line with these)

-Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse

-Christmas Wrasse, Adorned Wrasse, Red Lined Wrasse, Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres genus)

*Special Mention: I've been looking at the Chinese online fish dealer based in Guangzhou that I plan to buy livestock from. They've got a Twinspot (Candy Yellow Hogfish?) and the Pacific Red Lined Hogfish (?). They look absolutely stunning and I'd love one of them, but I am not sure how easy they are for a total noob and whether they need a bigger tank. I'd only keep the Twinspot with an Ocellaris pair but if I opt for the Tomato Clown I'd go for the red one.

If anyone knows species that I haven't mentioned that eat well, eat a variety of foods, are generally hardly and suitable for a novice (and most of all, attractive and colorful), let me know!

The centerpiece of my tank, I would like it to be a Wrasse or a dwarf angel, perhaps both.

If I get a pair of Ocellaris or PJ Cardinals as my first fish, they'll obviously be my first two fish. If not, then I'd like to know what I should put in with the Tomato Clown.

I haven't yet decided whether it's going to be a reef tank or FOWLR but I am thinking I'll most likely upgrade to a reef tank a couple of months into the hobby.

If there are any other hardy, tolerant species for a first-timer that I haven't listed, please let me know. They should be forgiving and attractive / colorful, but since it's my first time I'll have to be careful with my purchases so that I end up with fish that I can keep alive with a relatively high success rate.

*NOTE: RG and Blackcaps are hard to find in Asia and command a high price. I am not sure if I'll be able to find them.

Back