Colt Coral expert needed

Mr31415

Which water parameters or issues might cause a Colt Coral to suddenly retract all its polyps and shrink dramatically? All the usual params are fine and all the other corals also look fine. Any ideas?

could be a fish picking at it. when i got mine it did the same thing. in the morning when the light first came on it would open, by the end of the day it would be retracted. i tested everything, moved it up and down on the rocks, turns out my powder blue was nipping at it. once he stopped the colt starting growing like crazy. just a thought.

how long has it been retracted?
ive had one for about a year now and sometimes it has stayed retracted for a few weeks at a time for no reason at all, but always seems to be fine after that...has happend maybe 2 or 3 times since its been in my tank.

i dont know if this is a normal thing for these corals, but mine has always come back to normal those few times.

Colt corals are pretty indestructible. They can retract for a while without harm. Give it some time.

It had only done this once before. I have had it for about 3 months now.

It has been retracted for less than 1 day. Just started this afternoon.

For reference, listing your parameters, rather than just saying they are "fine" is a lot more helpful :D

I know what good and bad parameters are. Here - then you can confirm:

pH: 8.16
Temp: 25.9
SG: 1.024
Ammonia: 0.03 (total concentration - NH3 is 0.002)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Alkalinity: 7 dKH
Calcium: 432 mg/L
Phosphate: 0.1mg/L

Mine completely retracts its polyps for about an hour each day (and at the same time each day too). They're really hardy so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Back