Combating co2 build up

planedoc

I watch my ph swing everyday. It was going from 7.75 to 8.2 when my doors and windows are closed. I ran my skimmer line outside and not its 7.9 to 8.3. When the mornings are cooler than 70 I open the front and back doors at 6 am when I leave for work. My girlfriend close them at 8:30. This makes a huge difference. I can watch ph go from 7.9 to 8.1 in 3 hours while the tank lights are still off. I have a refuguim on reverse light cycle which also helps. What I'm wondering is if anyone has ever experimented with putting a bunch of plants in their fish room. I'm thinking a few large ferns. They would love the humidity and the light. I just wonder if it would make a difference. With winter coming I won't be able to open up house for 2 or 3 hours everyday.
Any thoughts?

I vote you do nothing if tank health is fine. You haven't mentioned tank losses or stress

what kind of ph readout are you using

Last edited:
I have an apex to monitor ph. My dKH is 9 cal 420 sg 1.026 mag at 1350. 0 nitrates /ammonia. It on my 240g with 75 g sump. About 270 total water volume. I unplugged my skimmer the other day and ph dropped to 7.8. The last two days I've had doors open and ph is 8.3 right now and only dipped to 8.15 early this morning. My house is 1100 sq feet with 3 tanks two adults two kids and a 120# dog. It's a co2 problem. I think the ferns will thrive in the humid fish room and I'm going to try it this winter. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this. Maybe there is a better plant?

Back