Combine multiple uv sterilizes?

MattG

Premium Member
When I look at the larger hobbiest uv sterilizer sit looks to me like most are just multiple smaller units plumbed together.

I have very little experience with uv and was thinking about adding one to my next tank. My next tank will be in the 500 gallon range and setup some time late next year. so what I was thinking was try a uv for my current 215 and when the time comes for the upgrade just add a second unit combined in series. Any problem with this?

I'm basically wanting to try it for now to see if I see benefits but not buy something that can't be used for the upgrade.

Any insight is welcome other then telling me they are unnecessary or not needed. :)

I don't see why it wouldn't work - just (perhaps) a bit more expensive at bulb changing time.

I'd just buy one that's big enough for your 500 gallon now. You can't really have too much UV, I don't believe. It'll cost a little more upfront, but you'll save in the end (assuming you use it on your 500).

I'd just buy one that's big enough for your 500 gallon now. You can't really have too much UV, I don't believe. It'll cost a little more upfront, but you'll save in the end (assuming you use it on your 500).

That was my original thought but then I didn't want to spend the extra money if I didn't find a benefit on my current tank. Used equipment has a pretty crummy return.

Sounds like plumbing two together is a possibility. Thanks everyone!

Back