Come inside and see my first tank!

sephronis

Hi everybody!!

I recently purchased a home that had the following built into the wall
Front.png

It was all mucky and solid green when I moved in. I guess as soon as I signed the contract the previous owner let it go to crap. It was set up as fresh water and I didn't like the way it looked so I drained, cleaned, sterilized it. Next I bought 50 gallons of distilled water and added one bag of instant ocean. I let it run/mix for 24 hours and tested the salinity (1.225). I then went to my local fish store that gave me some 7 year old cycled bacteria to help me get stated. I also added 50 pounds of white rock. After letting it settle for 24 hours I now have this
Aftercleaning.png

I tested the salinity again (1.20). I was wondering what the calculation is based on a 50 gallon tank to raise it to 1.225? I also purchased a testing kit and was looking for a bit of guidance on what levels the 4 major parts need to be (Ammonia, pH, nitrite, and nitrate)? I'm trying to get it ready for live rock and some fish to get it to start cycling. The shop that I went to had a light kit for $389.00 that was 48" with 4 blue and 4 white bulbs, as well as 4 night light spots. Is this a good deal? I'll get some more info on the light next time I go back. I won't be getting it right away anyways because I know I'm not ready for live coral. What starter fish would everyone recommend? Thank you for viewing my first thread!

nice looking setup. 1.225 SG is way to high, you should get it down to 1.023-1.025, next you will need to purchase some Live rock so your tank will cycle, you will not get a cycle with whats in your tank know. what kind of filter are you running? this site has lots of good info on it make sure you do your homework first before doing anything good luck

i agree with everything said above. you should definitely do your homework before doing first and definitely get the SG down. i would go get some RO water from your lfs and do a water change. i dont know for sure how much so ill let someone else answer that.

but anyways. you need to lower the SG. and then get the liverock to start your cycle. anywhere from 1 to 2 pounds per gallon with 1.5 being the most i hear being reccomended. do not buy fish until your cycle is completed. thats once the amonia and nitrites are both at a steady 0. do a massive water change to reove nitrates at that stage and i would recommend you read this thread.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239848
it contains alot of info on starting up a tank.

if you need anything else just ask. and make sure you read read read lol

good luck

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7552818#post7552818 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by exacta123
nice looking setup. 1.225 SG is way to high, you should get it down to 1.023-1.025, next you will need to purchase some Live rock so your tank will cycle, you will not get a cycle with whats in your tank know. what kind of filter are you running? this site has lots of good info on it make sure you do your homework first before doing anything good luck

I went back and looked and I wrote it down wrong! It was 1.0225 origionally and now it is at 1.0200.

Here's the pump I have:
pump.png

It has what the layering looks like:

--------
plastic divider
thin filter
thick filter
Course small rocks
thick filter
small pasta noodle looking things .5" diameter
plastic divider
--------
Bottom

Thanks for the help! My original question about how much salt to add remains still :) Sorry about the mixup

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7552955#post7552955 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by demonboy279
i agree with everything said above. you should definitely do your homework before doing first and definitely get the SG down. i would go get some RO water from your lfs and do a water change. i dont know for sure how much so ill let someone else answer that.

but anyways. you need to lower the SG. and then get the liverock to start your cycle. anywhere from 1 to 2 pounds per gallon with 1.5 being the most i hear being reccomended. do not buy fish until your cycle is completed. thats once the amonia and nitrites are both at a steady 0. do a massive water change to reove nitrates at that stage and i would recommend you read this thread.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239848
it contains alot of info on starting up a tank.

if you need anything else just ask. and make sure you read read read lol

good luck

Thanks for dropping in! I'll begin reading that thread in a bit . I've started shopping for some live rock. I didn't much like the rock they had at the lfs so if anyone has some good online suggestions to check out please let me know them!!

no probelm im glad to do what i can.

it will probably take awhile to read the whole thread but trust me its worth it.

i didnt order my live rock online but the main reccomendations i hear for live rock is www.liveaquaria.com and www.tampabaysaltwater.com

TBS has a "package" deal you mgiht want to read about. it dont seem like a bad deal to me. i know theres a couple people on here running the package.

also check out the sponsor links at the top of the page. im sure others will have an opinion but from what i hear most people or at least alot of people here use liveaquaria for their rock.

you could also use reefbone or another base rock and put the live rock over it to save a little money. it will seed the dead rock and it will eventually turn live.

an investment you will need to make and be happy to do so will be a master test kit. it will help you throught out your tanks cycle and the rest of the tanks life.

im still not sure about how much salt you should add to raise it.

i hope this helps

wow this forum moves quick. Does anyone have the calculation to get my salinity back to normal? 50 gallon tank 1.020 currently. Thanks for your help demonboy.

I'm not sure, but if the temprature is correct (76-80*) then just add 1/2 to 1 cup of salt mix at a time (slowly), letting it dissolve between measurements.

Once you hit 1.023 stop, it will probably raise another 0.001 point over night.

Thats how I did it originaly, and when I need to raise my salinity now I do it in 1/2 cup rounds (altho I add it very slowly so as not to shock the inverts).

My tank is a 65gal so it should be pretty similar.

EDIT:
I said 1/4th cup, but I use a 4 cup measuring cup. So I should have said 1 cup.
1/4th cup at a time won't really make a readable difrence.

1.020 is somewhat low. If you plan to keep coral at some point get it set to 1.025. There are two books I recommend you read for getting started. Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies, may sound odd but it got me into the hobby for the last 2 years and The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paletta. Both are very simple but are a wealth of info. Reading on the topic constantly will help you understand things from the complexities of cycling to how a skimmer works, and really ensure your success. Good Luck!!!

Back