Coming Back After a Decade - Need Advice

crobattt

So I’m finally settled into a home for good. I want to buy my first stank since I was a teenager. I haven’t had a reef tank since 2010 or so. I need help though. There’s a lot of changes since I got into it and I don’t remember everything. I need to find a LFS, I think I’ve found one about 45 minutes away I plan on visiting soon. Please see if there’s anything y’all can recommend. My current planner set up is:

Fluval 13.5, add a media basket, add a RFG on the return, pink live sand then add around 10-12 pounds of dead rock. Add some Bio-Spira with adding some ammonia here and there to let the tank cycle for a while.

The biggest question for y’all is what kind of media and such to use in the filtration system on the back.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated. I loved my system back years ago. Large reef tank with tangs and such, want to go small for now. Don’t want to shock the wife with a 180 or something haha. Anyways thank you in advance for all the help. If you have any criticism or advice please let me know.

Welcome back! Any reason not to go with live rock? A bit pricier but with a smaller tank not a huge hit to the wallet.

As to your actual question, I generally run media free on my tanks except the occasional carbon so I’m not much help with that unfortunately.

Back