Coming back to the hobby after 8 year break

clayspst

I’m looking to get back into the hobby (I left in about 2017ish). I’m looking at going the waterbox route (yes, I know there is cheaper options) I like the clean look. Just looking for people thoughts/opinions on waterbox?

I have noticed the hobby has change a lot. When it comes to “live” rock, the LEDS are no surprised I DIY my own LED lights LED’s were just starting out. Also, the livestock looks very limited to how it was years ago.

Welcome back! I have no experience with Waterbox but can’t say I’ve seen any complaints either.

Live rock…you’re pretty much stuck with gulf/Florida keys live rock (from Tampa Bay Saltwater, KP Aquatics, Gulf Live Rock, Etc…), Australian Live Rock (comes in in very limited quantities (usually from Unique Corals or Among The Reef) and can be pricey $25+ per pound), or the occasional very hard to find Walt Smith Fiji aquacultured rock (I’ve seen this in very very limited quantities)

There’s still small groups that run T5 or Halides but the vast majority is LED. It seems to me, and I could be wrong as I’m no DIY guy, that it’s cheaper to get a Chinese black box (Viparspectra, SmatFarm, Etc.) than it is to DIY. If you want name brand, it’s likely cheaper to DIY.

Livestock depends on what you want. Prices have skyrocketed along with everything else. The Hawaiian fish ban is no longer in place (latest news I read) but no permits have been issued for collection either. You can get many fish captive bred (including yellow tangs, mandarin gobies, some angels, and others) from places like Biota or ORA. If you order online, I’ve heard great things about Dr. Reefs quarantined fish @Dr. Reef. I think he can get pretty much anything you want as long as it’s available for collection. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply. I will check those sites out thanks.

Rookie question what is real reef rock? Never heard of it before. Is that live rock with a different name?

I dont think I'm going to do the diy LEDs. Been looking at the radion pro 30s or 15s.

Rookie question what is real reef rock?
Fake rock with fake purple coating. Maybe cured in a system? That part I'm not sure about.

I like the radions, not from personal use but the local wholesalers here all use them on their growout tanks.

I’m looking to get back into the hobby (I left in about 2017ish). I’m looking at going the waterbox route (yes, I know there is cheaper options) I like the clean look. Just looking for people thoughts/opinions on waterbox?

I have noticed the hobby has change a lot. When it comes to “live” rock, the LEDS are no surprised I DIY my own LED lights LED’s were just starting out. Also, the livestock looks very limited to how it was years ago.
I’m getting back into it too after a hiatus.

Even before I left the hobby, I was using man made rock (A Purple Reef). My LFS is recommending Life Rock Reef Tree, so I’ll probably do that. It looks like you can do some good aquascapes with it.

Like you, I did DIY LEDs back when T5s were still a thing. I asked my LFS the last time they sold T5s and they said years ago. T5s aren’t bad lights, just expensive and a tad difficult to maintain. Plus, no sunrise sunset. :)

I’m doing AI prime LED.

I’m still evaluating livestock, but I agree it looks more limited.

Waterbox aquariums seem very popular right now and I love the look. I’m doing Red Sea Reefer mostly because I did Red Sea before.

Back