Coming back!

WhoDat?

Hey guys!!
I have a few questions about how tanks are run these days.... I was into the hobby years ago but got out... I'm ready to get back in... I'm looking at a Red Sea 625... has 3 ReefLED 90's... pros/cons?

Also, when I had my setup, I had no "œfilters"... there was mud and cheaeto in the sump with a protein skimmer... no filter socks, no pads, nothing... my lights were metal halides... I quarantined everything and had much success... should the sump be setup the same? Is there something new to use? What did I miss on hiatus??? LED's were JUST coming into the aquarium world but crazy expensive....

Tank will be a mixture....

Welcome back WhoDat?!

Some of us are still using metal halide, but most are going with LEDs. And they are crazy expensive. Automation is big, with whole-system controllers. Dosing pumps, wave pumps, gyre pumps.

Start with what you know. Check out the new stuff to see what makes sense to you. Have fun!

Thanks!!
Are refugiums/sumps still the same? Is there something different/better now?
When I was first setting up my sump the hype was bio balls... then that kinda went out the window... and everyone started preaching against them....

Sumps and refugiums are pretty much the same. Some folks have gone to chaeto reactors over refugiums. Bio balls and similar aren't needed if you have a sand bed and rock. Bio balls provide nitrification, which has Nitrate as the end product, which is harmless to fish but can fuel algae. Sand beds and rock can provide nitrification and denitrification, with and end product of Nitrogen gas that harmlessly bubbles out of the water.

Back