coming to the Chicago area from Cleveland , need some places to visit

Murphs205

gotta love saltwater.....
I will be staying in your area for a day or two . I have several accounts in Chicago area , and will be visiting them very soon . i would like to stop and see some of your local marine and coral stores, i don't do very much after 2 ish in the afternoon , so i have plenty of time to kill !
so please fill me in on the best place to go see , or for that matter fellow RC folks with some nice frags for sale ,, its a about 7 hour drive home so they will be fine for the ride home ..

Murph

the place we can say in brookfield. Sea schor in buffalo grove for sps. Also try reef depot in villa park but call before you go as the are run out of a basement. And where you are staying will help to give us a idea of where you are at and what you are looking for to will help.

i have accounts in Bradley, Rockford , and in downtown Chicago , i visit all 3 several times a year , and two more up that way soon ,,,so any advice will work in the areas mentioned ,,

Are you looking for something along the lines of Salty Critter or are you looking for more corals?

doesnt matter , just need to kill some time and get my reef stuff on ,,,

Salty Critter ,,,10 mins from my house ,,,has to be one of the top 10 in the country for saltwater stores open to the public , i was there yesterday , they just bought the store next door as well ,,so now it double the size , Dan will have it up and running by mid summer ,,, cant wait to see what he comes up with next,,, we are very lucky here in Ohio when it come to reef stores , we have Salty , Phishy Business, and Reef Systems all within two hour drive of me ,,if you cant find what you looking for at these 3 places, its not out there ,,,,,,

Then you will *love* many of the stores here in Chicago, as I believe that there are many as good or better than SC here in Chicago.

When downtown, you must go to Old Town Aquarium on Wells. Not much on SPS, but a great fish store with lots of rare SW fish. There is an Aquarium Adventure in Schaumburg, it's just like the one in Cleveland, so I don't believe you will get much by going there. Living Sea, out by O'Hare, has probably the largest selection of fish in Chicago. For SPS, there is not much within the city, but there are some great places in the suburbs. I'll let the others chime in on the suburban places, but I tend to frequent Reef Depot and a place that we are not allowed to mention here at RC. Someone will need to e-mail you the name. Or, I can write it in code and then mail you a decoder ring. ;)

thank you so much , i cant wait to make the trip again , i will set my decoder ring to allow your e-mail @ irish2047@yahoo.com ,,as long as it does'nt say "be sure to drink your ovaltine" as Ralph says SOB !!!!!

im not too much into Aquarium Adventure at all ,,, that place sucks
Salty is not too much into big fancy tanks and such , but he does get QUALITY coral and fish two times a week in , he has some super nice coral and rare hard to find items

good lookin out ,,,Murph

We have a nice selection out here...i'd recommend:

Rod's Reef - Dekalb
Sho Tank - Mundelein
Reef Depot - Villa Park
Exotic Aquatics - Algonquin
Ocean's floor - Lake in the hills
Sea Schor - Buffalo Grove
Advanced Aquatics - Schaumburg
Midwest Reef Supply - East Dundee

Chi town coming through , can wait to visit ,,,what about the Shedd ?? worth the trip ??

Back