comment on the top 2 famous fish tanks.

inachu

In Memoriam
I am shopping to by glass top lids.

I bought perfecto and the other forgotten brand.

Neither fit my 55 long tank....

I am taking them to a glass fab to cut custom size.

Grrrr.... oh well more adventure.

You are aware of the negatives to having glass tops on the tank right? Heat doesn't excape as easily, less evaporation and whanot. saltcreep and builup will effect lighting. stuff like that. Just be prepared for all that (i'm sure I'm forgeting some other things about em too).

do you know what brand tank you have? what demension are the tank? typical 55g standard size or is this actually a longer version of a 55?

no, perfecto and AGA tanks are not the same size. There is a 1/4 inch of difference between the aquariums and that is why you cannot put AGA glass canopies on perfecto tanks and vice versa. Same goes with the stands.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12236696#post12236696 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by papagimp
You are aware of the negatives to having glass tops on the tank right? Heat doesn't excape as easily, less evaporation and whanot. saltcreep and builup will effect lighting. stuff like that. Just be prepared for all that (i'm sure I'm forgeting some other things about em too).

do you know what brand tank you have? what demension are the tank? typical 55g standard size or is this actually a longer version of a 55?

current-usa manual says to use a tank lid of some type.

Should I not listen to their manual? How do you have yours setup?

Or at least then do they make stands that make the light sit higher?

Oh yeah and that salt creep....... grrrrr.

The only reason they say that is for obvious reasons... something electric running above water... more protection the better in their mind.

If you have a splash guard on the lighting unit itself you will be fine.

Also, putting glass over effects the oxygen exchange too.

I don't run anything above my tank, besides the canopy... if you don't have a canopy, then you can use eggcrate if you are concerned about the fish jumping out... if you don't have any jumpers then why cover it?

Back