Computer help needed!

jtarmitage

OK, so I'm trying to navigate Reefready.net, and while I can view the first page, I cannot navigate the site. Every time I click on any of the links, I get this error:

404 Not Found
Not Found
The requested URL http:// was not found on this server.

I know other people can navigate the site, so the issue seems to be on my end. Any ideas!

that requrested url means the link is messed up maybe your not getting the entire page. what browser are you using...

Jeremy,

The only way I have been able to reproduce that error was to mess with my javascript. But it's a very specific procedure. If you log on with Javascript enabled, it takes to the javascript enabled version. Then if javascript is then turned off, you get the error that you just showed. But that's a very weird error. When you got to the website, what URL are you given? Do you stay at http://reefready.net/ or do you go to http://reefready.net/rr2/ ?

Minh

Mihn is right on (As usual)
It's a java error.
goto java.com and get the latest version, then head back to the site and it should work fine.

LUK

I get taken to the rr2 site. No changes to java, and I have the same issue on both computers. I have never been able to navigate that site though. Occasionally I'll get a brief flash of the page, then it disappears to be replaced by the 404 error.
Originally I thought it was a site issue, but just found out that others seem to have no difficulties.

I've got the most current version. When I set the java permissions below High, I can now go to the other pages, but now I can't see any of the pics, just the borders and text.

Hey Jeremy,

Do you have fast internet connections? If you do, I might be able to help you by remotely helping you. PM me your phone number.

Minh

Just got of the phone with Jeremy. We tried both IE and Firefox, and got the error. So it wasn't the browser. Through process of elimination, we discovered that it was McAfee's Privacy Protector (or something like that) was causing the problem. Since we didn't have much time to try tweaking it, we just disabled the privacy protector.

This is one of the reason why I hate "consumer" AV protection stuff. I like my corporate AV software - no extra junk installed. :D

Minh

I agree Minh. Most of the cosumer stuff even slows your machine down because it loads so much junk. The free stuff that ISP's and sites send out is even worse. I've personally seen them slow or break machines unless you buy the "full" version.

Great, so what you buying Jeremy?! :D

Yes Mihn!!!
Nice you got it working..

I HATE consumer grade ANYTHING!

I use Corporate Edition Mcafee and LOVE it!!
So do all my clients!

Sorry to have to cut and run Minh, but thank you! That was very generous. Just got home, so haven't had a chance to play with the Privacy Service.
Mike, I have no idea as I have never been able to see what they've got to offer! I'll have to check them out later tonight.

Minh, you're the man. I read this thread before anyone responded and thought 'ah probably user error'... but you went the extra mile, very cool.

FWIW I also hate consumer AV programs but I fell in love with NOD32 when I started using it a few years ago. It has a tiny footprint but its very powerful.

Back