Conch Shells ???

bjonesjr1

Premium Member
Was wondering, I live on the gulf of mexico in florida, and was at the beach today, Saw many conch shells with animals still in them roaming around on the bottom of the water, was watching them while snorkling... Those aren't ok to put in a reef tank like a turbo snail would be or sand sifting snail, are they ??? I'm not going to but a friend said he would in his tank And I told him not to because of things that come with it like the algae and maybe even ich I would think... I'm just trying to prove him wrong...

Bjonesjr1

Fighting Conchs are very popular, I dont know the difference. But collecting from Florida carries a very hefty fine if caught.

I think it would be safe. However if the conch is really large it could knock over your rock. Also wfost is right. Collecting in Florida is a risky thing to do.

I thought the queen conch's are the illegal one's, Not the smaller one's which are called fighting conch's...

What about the hermit crabs that you can get from the beach here in florida, they seem to have one dominate claw and they seem to always be bigger than their shell Would those be ok to add to someones tank or should I stick to the blue legged hermit crabs and the other type...

you can get collection permits, but ya gotta know whats ok to collect and whats not. I'd go onto one of the local collectors sites, see what they collect, and AFTER you get the permit (I think its just a fishing permit or something similar you can get at a local store) go ahead

floridacollector.com floridapets dot com (why won't it let me put that here? hmmm???) ummm... theres more, but I forget them

and if you become a collector, I'll send a list of what I want to you, and you can go out and collect things for me... right ;) nothing HARD, just macros and some gongorians... things like that.

Lol I'm not looking to collect I just wanted to know about them, was at the beach and a buddy of mine took one to put in his tank, and I told him that Be careful because it could cause an algae bloom or maybe something else I was just trying to find info for him...

Back