Cone or not to cone..., that is the question!

Reefnooblet

Ok so I looked in the skimmer f.a.q's but sence there is so many pages, figured I'd just ask and hope for a clear answer...

What is the difference between a cone vs. Non-cone skimmers.
Such as advantages, disadvantages, etc...

Thanks in advance...

Advantage for cone vs. non-cone:
_No turbulence to interfere with bubbles

Dis-Advantage for cone vs. non-cone:
_Price

Wouldn't cone also be taller (unless it was wider) for same contact time. Equal size you lose volume, which should mean less contact time.

Advantage i'd say is easier to clean, since there are no edges on the inside to work around.

Advantage for cone vs. non-cone:
_No turbulence to interfere with bubbles

Dis-Advantage for cone vs. non-cone:
_Price

not true, i dont think it is as much as cone or non cone as i have had a few cones and alot of non cone designs, a well balanced skimmer reguardless of being a cone or not is what makes the differance, example i had the vertex in180 which had excellent bubble transition and now i have the vertex alpha 200 the bubble movement is no different other then a little better transition in the lower part of the skimmer body.

Cones tend to increase contact time, as the water comes under slight compression as it rises in a cone. Doesn't sound like it would be much, but it seems to be enough to warrant the design. After all, water and air is a very light mix and doesn't require a great deal of force to form it. Cones are more expensive, as forming the acrylic is quite a bit more work than a cylinder. I use a Vertex Alpha 250.

Cones tend to increase contact time, as the water comes under slight compression as it rises in a cone. Doesn't sound like it would be much, but it seems to be enough to warrant the design. After all, water and air is a very light mix and doesn't require a great deal of force to form it. Cones are more expensive, as forming the acrylic is quite a bit more work than a cylinder. I use a Vertex Alpha 250.

Thanks for your post Kolognekoral, I wonder though do cones "work better" then an non cone tho? or is the added cost only because of how hard it is to make the cone from acrylic?

Thanks for your post Kolognekoral, I wonder though do cones "work better" then an non cone tho? or is the added cost only because of how hard it is to make the cone from acrylic?

A well designed cone does prove to be more effective, but it is difficult to do a comparison, as price plays a role. In the end, I find most hi-end skimmers are a case of you get what you pay for. I chose Vertex Alpha series and it was worth every penny...to me. They are produced by Royal Exclusive, the bubble king people, and they do know how to design a skimmer.

Of the two items I find one shouldn't cut corners on for a reef tank are the skimmer and the lighting. Both expensive, but key to success, and well built designs are with you for years.

want a Cone ?? goto DQ !! lol hahaa joking

I use a cone now , alpha kone 200 ... and its working very well ... I think better than cylinder, I dont know why I feel that though ...

Another reason that cones are more effective is the cone shape means the internal volume decreases as you go up the cone. this means less water and weight on the pump and this leads to a more efficient power factor and air/water mixture from the pump.

Cones are less efficient. Less volume for contact time. As the bubbles rise, they combine and make larger bubbles, for less contact surface area, which means they are less efficient. The height is increased to compensate, but still not as effective as a standard bodied skimmer.

Thanks for all the reply's guys... The whole reason I am asking is cause I am currently looking at these skimmers...

SWC - Xtreme Cone Protein Skimmer 250 S2 (Cone)
SWC - Xtreme 350 Protein Skimmer (Non-Cone)

Super Reef Octopus XP3000 Internal SRO XP3000I (Cone)
Reef Octopus Extreme XS 350 Protein Skimmer (Non-Cone)

Last edited:
Cones are less efficient. Less volume for contact time. As the bubbles rise, they combine and make larger bubbles, for less contact surface area, which means they are less efficient. The height is increased to compensate, but still not as effective as a standard bodied skimmer.

Humm, See now that makes sense too me, but as you can tell others (Above) think the opposite... (Confused now!) lol :headwally:

Humm, See now that makes sense too me, but as you can tell others (Above) think the opposite... (Confused now!) lol :headwally:

I like the SRO skimmers, as they are a hybrid cone/standard body to use the best of both worlds. Here is some info from a manufacturer to back it up.

Look at Reef Dynamics videos on YouTube... You will learn a lot. There are 7 of them.

Here is a link to a description of a perfectly running skimmer -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTrFdpwGvuI&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Here is a link to the first of the 7 part series -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXuEebGU9zA

Here is a short vid of my SRO 2000. The noise is NOT from the skimmer, it is from the return pump and sump splashing. You can see exactly what I am talking about concerning fine bubbles in the body, then they combine as they rise -

Last edited:
Seems like a never ending debate till the next revolutionary design comes along. IME out of the many skimmers I've used the cone seems to work somewhat better. Price is another story.

Alpha cones necks are too large. Very badly balanced skimmer. Warner marine and skimz are coming up imho. Can't beat ati and bk and deltec skimmers tho. You do not need a cone! This much debate, since cones came out, should tell you something. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE BALANCE PEOPLE! I believe ati just got lucky with that first cones success. Octopus cones are decent performers, but I'd bank on skimz and warner marines new design to make bigger waves in an ocean of bunk skimmers. Look for the ones with a, mortgage price tag, to fall in line soon. Watch

Back