Conflicting info on best anemone for Percula Clowns - so torn

KarenLR75

We have a 112 gallon mixed reef tank and have long been toying with the idea of getting an anemone for our mated pair of Percula clownfish. Husband has been looking for a Rose BTA large enough to handle the size of our Perculas but I decided to research what specific types of anemones were most likely to match up with our Perculas (BTA NOT being one of them)

Unfortunately our the choices are very limited and on top of that, 2 of the most recommended ones come the 'most difficult' category (as well as a tendency to eat other fish, etc. I read some of the stickies on this topic & gathered the following were considered natural matches for Perculas:
  1. Heteractis crispa (long tentacle, LTA, leathery, or milk)
  2. Heteractis magnifica (magnificent, ritteri, or skunk)
  3. Stichodactyla gigantea (gigantic or carpet)
  4. Stichodactyla haddoni (haddon's, saddleback, carpet, or sand carpet
Then I clicked on a link on another sticky & was taken to a document called "The Anemone FAQ" that showed ONLY the following as fits for Perculas:
  1. Heteractis magnifica (magnificent, ritteri, or skunk)
  2. Stichodactyla gigantea (gigantic or carpet)
I'm not sure why there is a difference. I would prefer an anemone that is less inclined to move around (yeah, we all do) and obviously would prefer the easiest to have. I read the S. Haddoni are notorious for eating other fish, invertebrates, etc. We have a few corals on the sandbed so that gives me pause about an anemone on the sandbed but having one you can put up on your rocks brings similar issues.

Additionally, we love mandarins (dragonets). We lost the one we had which took us by surprise as we've had a mandarin before and he lived for over 5 years until we 'tanked' our tank. We WILL be replacing the mandarin. We have a Randall's Goby but he is paired with a pistol shrimp and doesn't stay from their burrow.

I know some take chance on BTA but chances of Perculas hosting it are reduced. With all the variables listed above, am unsure if taking a chance on a BTA & seeing if it works might be better than trying to deal with very difficult anemones, especially with so few choices. Also, any thoughts as to whether Perculas are known to naturally host in wild with the 4 listed 1st or only the 2?

In 1st saltwater tank 20 yrs ago, the one with 1st mandarin, we had anemones & different types of clown in same tank (we were ignorant AND lucky) and didn't know about all this stuff. We just bought anemones available at LFS. Don't recall type but remember them having a taller 'stalk'. It was 2 yrs before we found out they can move!

Hadonni are not a natural match for percs, and I'd easily and happily drop them off the list.

Mags, gigs, crispa are your natural choices.

Of those I would say crispa is probably easiest, easiest to come by as well.

I personally prefer mag, and I don't think they are that difficult to keep, just harder to get a healthy one initially, and cipro treatment is quite often needed on their arival, but after you get through that, give a high perch for light and they pretty much stay put.

The sticky we have here has been needing updating for quite a while, I go by the book by Fautin & Allen, " Anemone fishes and their host sea anemone's"

I think that book has the best and most up to date info, belongs in every nem keepers library IMO

mag or gigs for me or both!
picture.php

Carpet anemones, or frankly any anemone for that matter, are not good housemates with Mandarins. Any fish without a swim bladder (dragonets, gobies, blennies, hawkfish, etc.) has the possibility of accidentally swimming into an anemone. Granted, some fish are "smarter" than others, but carpet anemones pose an even bigger threat because they cover a larger area that the fish have to swim over.

Back