Confused but Happy

Optionman

My RS 650 has been running a year (cycle began 3/16/16). Its a packed mixed reef loaded with a large finger leather, green cabbage, huge colt, large Pagoda cup, 2 large branching hammers, 15 acans, giant pipe organ coral, duncans, trumpet corals, 2 gonis, dozens of zoas, palys, massive amounts of Xenia, Kenya tree, and GSP... as well about a dozen SPS, including birdsnest, green slimmer, red planet, and orange digitata.

I only run a CA reactor, skimmer, and bagged carbon. Lighting is 4 hydra HD26 which run 13 hours (3 hours ramp up and 3 down) with all blue/violet/royal at 100%, UV at 80%, and 0 others. Occasionally run white spectrum on weekends for the wife.

The past 2 days I can honestly say that my reef has NEVER looked better. Every coral is looking its best, nice polyp extension, color, and growth in all SPS as well. Palys and zoas are bigger then normal, open brain is inflated, etc.. No algae issues at all (almost no exposed rock available).

Decided to test everything while it was looking its best:

SG 1.026 (Milwaukee)
Alk 10.5 (Hanna)
Nitrate 50 (salifert) photo included
PO4 .41 (Hanna)

I trust my readings and they are consistent. Now my confusion. I read so many posts about running reactors and/or refugiums to bring down nitrate and phosphate levels. Carbon dosing is also discussed at length. My readings are off the charts, especially for SPS corals, yet I don't think I could ask for better growth and color, and I don't have any algae issues. Conventional wisdom would say GFO immediately based on what I see in other posts. I'm hesitant to do anything other than enjoy my reef and stay confused.

Appreciate any thoughts. IMG_3454.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Confused but Happy

I saw that last week when I first tested for nitrate and phosphate and saw my "elevated" levels, but 99% of the nutrient discussion is about moving towards 0 and the disasters resulting from levels like mine. My results, albeit for only a year, seem to confirm Richard Ross's side of the argument, even about running high Alk with high nutrient levels. My Alk has always been 10-11 range (RS coral pro salt).

Maybe I'll start a high nitrate/high PO4 thread, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back