$$$ Conscious MH Reflectors

nmunn

Moving up from PC to MH. Trying to determine what reflectors I need to buy. Hate the idea of spending a bunch of money on polished sheet metal. Can anyone point me to ‘reasonably’ priced reflectors?

Thanks, just having a hard time paying 40+ bucks for a 2 dollar mogul and a 1 dollar piece of polished tin....

nmunn, As crazy as it sounds to pay $40 for a reflector and the socket, you cannot get the intensity and light distribution from a diy reflector. I have tried on several occasions and I ended up buying a pair of PFO parallel reflectors with the mogul sockets for $100. The preformed reflectors also prevent light from rearcing back onto the bulb. Fortunately, you only have to buy this stuff once. Look in the used threads for some good deals on M/h equipment.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8201670#post8201670 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nmunn
Thanks, just having a hard time paying 40+ bucks for a 2 dollar mogul and a 1 dollar piece of polished tin....

You have to be kidding.

If you have difficulty digesting the fact that paying $40.00 for a pre mounted DIY reflector and socket, then you seriously need to reconsider your hobby. I don't know if you work for free, but quality aluminium reflector material is not as cheap as you think and the same goes for the ceramic socket. Then there's labor to bend the material properly and mounting. I would love to see how cheaply you can make and distribute your own version.

Just some food for thought

The LumenArc IIIs are the best by far, but they're not "budget". The Spider or PFO Parallel are good alternatives on a budget.

Re: Lumenarc III

Re: Lumenarc III

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8214257#post8214257 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yupi1982
$ 120 Lumenarc III Reflectors each
a little Pricy but Best reflectors ever...FACT
ask for anthony !!!

I agree I've got 6 Lumenarcs III 5 of them are Mini's one is the full size one.. I started with Spider Reflectors a few years ago got one Lum III last year now thats all I use....Reflectors make a HUGE difference on light output.

40 Bucks is pretty cheap.. Be warned not all the spider reflectors are the same size.. The cheap ones tend to be smaller then the more $$$ ones. I learned that lesson already...

The lumenarcs may be great, but there's no real reason to buy them new. People growing plants inside have found them to be great also, so they're up for sale at police auctions. They can be had for as little as $10.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8214944#post8214944 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lucubrator
The lumenarcs may be great, but there's no real reason to buy them new. People growing plants inside have found them to be great also, so they're up for sale at police auctions. They can be had for as little as $10.

Good tip :D I'll have to see if there is anything local ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8214944#post8214944 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lucubrator

LOL very true I seen a picture of a local bust several months back with a room full of them.....Dont know where they sold them though never even thought to look into that..

Is there even that much of a performence upgrade from a spider reflector? My Spider is damn bright and shiny :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8215125#post8215125 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Donkin
Is there even that much of a performence upgrade from a spider reflector? My Spider is damn bright and shiny :)

From what I've seen, yes. The spider is decent, but it loses light out the front and back of the bulb. The LumenArc captures light from all directions and pushes it straight down, as opposed to "ostly down, maybe sideways back and front. Look at some pictures of the reflector to see what I'm talking about.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8215125#post8215125 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Donkin

I could tell a big difference.. I changed out just one spider on my 180 with a LUM3 Mini.. After comparing them side by side with the same bulb ballast I replaced all my Reflectors with them.. YOu think The price is high buy all spider reflectors at 50 bucks a pop then replace them all 2 years later.. with 129.00 dollar LUMs...

Back