Considering MH, Help Educate a Newb

cham

I have a T5 set up running over top my 110 (see sig) but I was thinking about adding two 150 or 250 watt MH bulbs (retro style) to my canopy.

My tank runs about 81* with two small fans. In a small canopy can I get away with two low wattage MH bulbs for about 4 hours a day? I dont want to buy a chiller too.

Also, what should I avoid, I know nothing about MH. Magnetic ballasts junk?

What would be a good deal on a full two bulb set up used?

Thanks for any info you have.:)

what are u ttrying to keep..

u can get the retrofit kit with bulb for under 200 bucks on hellolights

I got bit by some of the SPS at my LFS and what I had originaly intended to be softie only I want to be able to keep some SPS. I also like what halides do for growth rates and the shimmer effect.

I am somewhat limited on room with my T5 VHO combo I currently have. I can move the T5's in closer to get some more room too.
hood.jpg

From what I have read so far it seems like electronic ballasts are the way to go (samething with flourecents).

What do you guys think about getting two of these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/70-Watt-Electro...hZ017QQcategoryZ46314QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

There are a couple thoughts I have on why to buy two and low wattage. One is I have a massive divider in the top of my tank that will block alot of light from one bulb. Second is that I dont want to deal with a chiller, I am hoping if I keep the wattage low I can do it with 4 or 5 computer style fans. I already have almost 500w over my tank now.

I purchased a triple 175 retro kit from ebay (not the one you listed) and it works great. I would probably go with 150's larger. I'm also in Fla and I use a walmart fan in my sumo and canopy and my temp stays below 81.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8269192#post8269192 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bono
I purchased a triple 175 retro kit from ebay (not the one you listed) and it works great. I would probably go with 150's larger. I'm also in Fla and I use a walmart fan in my sumo and canopy and my temp stays below 81.

Very cool, do you have any pictures of your set up?

What would you guess, two 150's will add about a degree to the overall water temp?

you canopy seems a little too small to keep MHs in there, the usual height people keep MH's over a tank is around 8 inches, give or take a inch or two. If you keep them lower, you'll heat up your tank more, and you'll run a higher risk of water splashing on them and causing them to shatter....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8269635#post8269635 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PiNaPLeX
you canopy seems a little too small to keep MHs in there, the usual height people keep MH's over a tank is around 8 inches, give or take a inch or two. If you keep them lower, you'll heat up your tank more, and you'll run a higher risk of water splashing on them and causing them to shatter....

Really?

I just measured and from the waters surface to the mounting surface of my canopy it is almost 7" total. Obviously the fixture would bring it closer to the water. I imagine HQI would be worse than the bulb and socket design because the bulb and socket will hug closer to the top of the canopy.

Does this sound like an issue even with the fans I have?

you have to account for 1-2" for the socket to "hang" down from the mounting surface. So if you have 7" of space now, when you actually mounted the bulbs, they'd be closer to 5" off the water.

Also, regardless if you have fans, the closer you mount the bulbs to the water the temp should go up with MHs. And if you're already running at 81degs you might to take that into consideration.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8269742#post8269742 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PiNaPLeX
you have to account for 1-2" for the socket to "hang" down from the mounting surface. So if you have 7" of space now, when you actually mounted the bulbs, they'd be closer to 5" off the water.

Also, regardless if you have fans, the closer you mount the bulbs to the water the temp should go up with MHs. And if you're already running at 81degs you might to take that into consideration.

I understand. What would be the best solution is to use a single 175w bulb. The MH is only for supplimentation and to add the extra "umph" needed to get some nice growth.

I know a guy with a single 175w MH for sale but I dont know how to mount it so I get even light, the center brace on my tank is in the way.

Any helpful ideas on how to do that?

well, for extra "umph" you should just add 2 more t5's into your canopy. like a GE6500k daylight (this bulb is a PAR monster and gives really good growth), and an aquablue plus bulb or something.

To use MH's as a supplement on that particular tank would be like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. There's too many problems you'll run into with that canopy.

With a tank that size there's really no way you can put 1 MH in there and get even light.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but i'm just trying to let you know that what you're trying to do with the current setup is a bit impractical given the size of your tank/canopy and heat restrictions.

is getting a new canopy out of the question?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8269862#post8269862 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PiNaPLeX
well, for extra "umph" you should just add 2 more t5's into your canopy. like a GE6500k daylight (this bulb is a PAR monster and gives really good growth), and an aquablue plus bulb or something.

To use MH's as a supplement on that particular tank would be like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. There's too many problems you'll run into with that canopy.

With a tank that size there's really no way you can put 1 MH in there and get even light.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but i'm just trying to let you know that what you're trying to do with the current setup is a bit impractical given the size of your tank/canopy and heat restrictions.

Canopy was custom built, getting one will be really expensive. I was really hoping to get MH, I love the look they give too.

How about the twin 70 w I posted above, wouldnt they work well for what I need to do?

Last edited:
Despite popular opinion, flourscents and MH's shouldnt be housed within the same closed fixture. It kills the output and lamp life. VHO's are meant to be run at around 75degrees, and t5ho are meant to be run at 95. Your MH hood is going to be a lot hotter then that and will kill your bulb life and PAR output.

You would be much better off going all t5ho's if your looking to add little more light. Maybe even pick up another tube or two.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8269924#post8269924 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cham
Canopy was custom built, getting one will be really expensive. I was really hoping to get MH, I love the look they give too.

How about the twin 70 w I posted above, wouldnt they work well for what I need to do?

2x70w MHs would be drowned out by the current light that you have, and would be too small to affect growth on a tank that size, and IMO would be a waste of money and add unecessary heat to your system.

Back