I cant figure which is better ????

I wanna get one ... here is reef angel

REEF ANGEL + 289.00
Aqua Illumination cable $15.00
Jebao cable harness $25.00
Wifi Attachment $109.00

thoughts and opinions welcome ...
also if anyone knows of a deal :mixed:

It comes down to personal choice and closed vs. open system.

Apex is closed - off the shelf.
Reef Angel is open source and more DIY oriented.

Both have advantages. I currently run a Reef Angel and love it. I've owned a Neptune years ago before they made the current generation Apex. It was good, rock solid, and great support. It used X-10's which should date it a bit but yet it still had a data logger and network support which was nice. I would probably still be using it today if it wasn't for my German Shepherd Dog using it for a chew toy...

Reef angel also has some pretty rock solid support. Probably not has good of quality say compared to the Apex, but it does work and what is advertised. I use the Temp and Ph probes and dim my LED's via PWD signals. I've toyed with storm cycles but now just run with a ramp up, down, slope pattern if you will which my corals seem to love.

I don't really think it is a valid comparison because of the sort of kits and focus groups they target. But...if you are a DIY person, then I'd recommend the Reef Angel because you have more options in regards to programming and custom libraries.

I had a Reef Keeper and "liked" it, i switched to an APEX and realized how much i truly hated the reef keeper! I will never use another controller again! LOVE the apex for sure!

It comes down to personal choice and closed vs. open system.

Apex is closed - off the shelf.
Reef Angel is open source and more DIY oriented.

Both have advantages. I currently run a Reef Angel and love it. I've owned a Neptune years ago before they made the current generation Apex. It was good, rock solid, and great support. It used X-10's which should date it a bit but yet it still had a data logger and network support which was nice. I would probably still be using it today if it wasn't for my German Shepherd Dog using it for a chew toy...

Reef angel also has some pretty rock solid support. Probably not has good of quality say compared to the Apex, but it does work and what is advertised. I use the Temp and Ph probes and dim my LED's via PWD signals. I've toyed with storm cycles but now just run with a ramp up, down, slope pattern if you will which my corals seem to love.

I don't really think it is a valid comparison because of the sort of kits and focus groups they target. But...if you are a DIY person, then I'd recommend the Reef Angel because you have more options in regards to programming and custom libraries.

I had a Reef Keeper and "liked" it, i switched to an APEX and realized how much i truly hated the reef keeper! I will never use another controller again! LOVE the apex for sure!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT!! more confusion .. oh whoa is me :debi:

Apex is hands down a better controller. Not even a question.

Now for most people both will get the job done

I spent several days reading people's opinions on both systems and I went with Apex. I don't regret it.

Sorry Good Reefer, but it is true.

I think at the end of the day it really comes down to a few questions to be honest. Is money a concern? Off the shelf, closed system? Or, do you want a form of both in regards to lower initial cost and DIY flavors?

If money isn't really a issue and you want something off the shelf then in all honesty get the Apex. It is by far one of then, if not, best controllers out there. They have been around for many years and any simple search on the web will say they provide great support. I've personally talked to them in regards to various questions or issues and they always responded in a timely and accurate manor. In fact, send them a email saying what you are thinking about doing and what they would recommend. I think you may be surprised.

Reef Angel is what I'm currently using as I noted above. It really suites me fine and will for tanks to come. It is a cheaper initial investment "I" believe in that I got the "plus" version, extra temp probe, and that was it. It had everything in the box I needed (float switches, Ph probe, temp probe, PC cable, and relay box) and was able to get it running in less than 30 minutes. Has a PC client, android app, as well as iOS. Here are some things to consider with this unit:

1. It is open source
2. It isn't "as" well built the Apex - it isn't bad, just not a Apex
3. It will require some DIY understanding because you are loading and upgrading libraries

Like I noted above in my earlier post. It does Ph, temp, feeding cycle, overhead shutdown of pumps and heaters, cycles on/off my power head used for waves, PWM slopes for lights, on/off lights, and probably a few other "minor" things. All of this can be done with the Apex as well for sure. For me, the 'plus' Reef Angel kit got me into the controller market cheaper and offered me some "geek" time to boot.

I do not know what your DIY levels are or what your time is worth to you. Like I said the Apex is by far the best unit on the market in my opinion. It was, at the time, too much for me and the open source Angel works.

I have experience with both.

Are you a programmer and do you know how to write C code? If so, reefangel may be good because you can toss the default code load and write your own stuff. A friend of mine and I did this for our frag tank. The default code would only alternate powerheads, we added the ability to for a period of having both On at the same time as well. Pretty cool. There is also other free code on their forums. So you can get other functionality that way. The only thing is that you have to be comfortable compiling and loading code onto the reefangel.

If you don't know any programming and just want to deal with on and off times, the Apex is awesome. I have one and love it. Also, they update the SW time to time so issues that pop up are handled in a future release. I have had it for a year now and hope it lasts so I can use it on my next tank. Easily configurable, has a built in web server, and stores your tank data too (depending on what probes you have).

I suggest going over to the reef angel forums to get a better grasp (or more lost:)) on what it entails. I'm at the same point but I'm leaning towards the RA.. They are actually local to me and the forum is pretty fast to respond to people's issues.

From what I've read and asked its not that hard to code. You just have to get used to it. Apex is def easier but there is a learning curve also. I think I can get more for my money with the RA and spend time learning and tweaking it to do exactly what I want it to. I don't think you will go wrong with either. At least that's what I've been told as I have absolutely no experience in either LOL.. I should be ordering the RA in a week or so. Took a few months to talk myself into it. With the help of some RA users and the awesome support on the RA forum. Good luck.

I am at the last stages of a controller
I cant figure which is better ????

I wanna get one ... here is reef angel

REEF ANGEL + 289.00
Aqua Illumination cable $15.00
Jebao cable harness $25.00
Wifi Attachment $109.00

thoughts and opinions welcome ...
also if anyone knows of a deal :mixed:

Do you mind me asking what the purpose of the "Jebao cable harness" is?

Thanks,

Mike

Do you mind me asking what the purpose of the "Jebao cable harness" is?

Thanks,

Mike

I'm not 100% sure but I think that is used for dimming or a cross over cable for PWM (or filter). I don't have one since the drivers I'm using support PWM direct. I may be wrong but this was searching through the RA forums.

I was there already messing around with a timing routine for a power head (would love a MP10 but need to wait a bit) so figured I'd do a quick search since I've not seen one.

i have RKE and Apex both. if i was to keep one i would keep APEX.
20120727_213241.jpg

jebao cable is for the jebo wp40 wave pump

I run thesw pumps and love em... People wanting to run them on a controller seem to like the reef angel becauae fhey can write the codes u may wanna look up the very large thread on these pumps, there has been a ton of mods amd things done to them.. somebosy actually has them running on the MP codes if tjats what u wanna call em

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I gotta wonder what's up with the posts that claim you need to know how to write code to use a Reef Angel.
If you're willing to do some of your own coding, the Reef Angel can be an amazing piece of equipment, easily capable of things that no other controller can do. For users with this ability, going with a RA should be a nobrainer.
OTOH, Writing your own code is absolutely not a requirement and almost any common function can be set up by someone with virtually no coding experience at all. Many of the more advanced functions can be installed very easily with just a few key strokes and a quick copy/paste for the Reef Angel forum.
I went with the RA because the basic package was substantially less expensive than the Apex but included everything that I would need to get started. Even after a few add-ons, I'm still under the cost of the basic Apex unit and I have a lot more functionality.
I had heard of "C." had never used it and wouldn't know the first thing about how to use it. My programming experience ended with DOS and my ability there was limited. I have Set up my RA using the "Reef Angel Wizard" and it did almost everything I needed on it's own. The "Wizard" is a program that asks what functions you need and writes the code for you, the hardest part is connecting to the unit to load the code and that was about as difficult as setting up my new router when my old one quit on me. I've since added a little custom code, but I didn't write it. I had an item I wanted to modify, I went to the RA forum, the helpful folks there wrote a line of code and told me where to paste it. I've since done this a couple more times to make additional modifications. I still wouldn't say I know how to write anything myself, but my RA does what I want it to do.
In the days before the "wizard," I'm sure it would have been helpful to know how to do this yourself, but now it's probably pretty similar to setting up any other controller. Just open the software, click on what you want. hood up a USB cable and click on "load."

Last edited:
Back