Converting 300dd from fowlr to reef, what all is needed

hk45

I'm currently thinking of switching my 300dd to a reef. Wondering what all I need to do to get this done. I know some fish will have to go. I'm thinking I'll have to get rid of my mappa puffer, blue jaw trigger pair, saddleback and green bird wrasse, foxface, flame and passer angel. I currently have 3-360we kessil leds for lighting. I also have to apex wavs for flow. Basement sump with hammerhead for return pump. I also run reef octopus elite 200int skimmer w algae scrubber.

I'm wanting to keep a mix of hard/soft corals. Just wondering if I need more lighting and more flow? I don't want to replace what I currently have equipment wise just add to it if needed. Also plan on adding calcium reactor to the current setup. Any other items please let me know. Thanks

I think your lighting may need to be upgraded over time. While those lights surely make your tank look nice, they may not provide enough PAR for full coverage of your tank. I would likely just place corals in the areas with good coverage and upgrade as the tank fills out.

I'd also say the same thing for flow. Just keep an eye out for settling detritus and work on your flow to reduce or eliminate dead spots.

How are your nutrient levels? I have recently won a long nutrient battle, and would recommend having them under control before cranking up the lighting.

Christmas bonus coming, so looking to order whatever I possible need now. I just ordered geo calcium reactor. What extra lightings? Thinking adding t5's 4-80w, 2 Giesemann Razor T5 Retro Kit one on each side of the kessils that are currently centered over tank. Think this will be enough? If so what color bulbs? Or should I do something different with my kessils?
Think I should switch salt mix from instant ocean to reef crystals or will this not matter w calcium reactor?
As far as flow sand is actually pretty clean except one spot. I do have some wp40 I could always add with the Wav pumps.

IMHO if you are happy with the Kessils I would add 3 more,
IO salt is fine but nothing wrong with the RC either - up to you. I find I have to add a supplement for Magnesium with regular IO.
Until the coral grows bigger flow is fine.

Back