converting freshwater pond

Rick Reed

Hi everyone. I recently moved into a new house. In my old house I had a South American pond with stingrays, peacock bass and a Jardi. Before I moved I got rid of all my fish. I am now in the new house and a set up the pond. The pond has a mag12 pump, 2 made in China powerheads, DIY wetdry, UV sterilizer and a 300 gallon sump for pathos. I went to the LFS to buy fish. While there I was looking and the saltwater fish.

I told the employee that I will like to give saltwater a try. He told me all I need to do is add salt to my system and let it mix for a few day. Then add some live rock and let the tank cycle. Once the tank cycles I should add a protein skimmer and fish.

So are you saying you're thinking about building an outdoor saltwater pond? Or are you just getting a conventional saltwater aquarium after being a pond owner?

What the LFS person told you is a fairly accurate overview of starting a tank. But there is much much more to it. Many details. It's not hard to learn but you need to expose yourself to all of the correct information and study is required. IMO, someone who can run a successful pond is the ideal candidate for a reef tank, especially a non conventional pond with exotic fish. Welcome to Reef Central.

Thank you for the welcome and advice. The pond is in my basement. I will post pics tomorrow. Right now it is running with freshwater. He also said I need a water top off.

Other then mixing salt for a water change, cleaning the skimmer and filling up the top off is there an difference between fresh and saltwater. I am going to do fish only to start.

Back