Cool little tool for checking out your tank

spleen93

crabby hermit
Premium Member
We've all heard about how checking out the microfauna in our tanks can be interesting and using a magnifying glass can really help in doing this.

Well, instead of a magnifying glass, I'm using a product called an Optivisor that sits on your head like a headband and gives you stereo vision - freeing up your hands for other things and reducing eye strain. It's also useful for those of you that frag. I'm using mine to check out baby turbo snails, pods, microalgae (ugh), and hydroids (double ugh) in my tank.

optivisor.jpg

The lenses are made from optical glass so they'll last and won't scratch easily. They're usually used for jewelry making and other crafts like that but they're pretty useful for reefers as well (they're also used in some medical clinics for minor surgical procedures). You can find them online on Ebay for around $25 or so so it's a pretty inexpensive investment in your tank (just do a search for "optivisor"). And yes, you do look like a dork while you're wearing it. :D

Thought it might be useful to some of you out there.

Spleen

Interesting. :) I wonder how these would work on a bow-front tank with the curved glass? Would be pretty cool to get close-ups on polyps and corals!

Kris

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10490673#post10490673 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hansmatt
My wife would laugh me out of the house if she caught me wearing those...that said, I WANT SOME!

I was thinkin that too. I could see myself with those on stickin my head in the stand or somethin to check out pods. Then my gF walks in and i pull my head out and i have those on. LOL

It would be cool to get some though!

Even though that is one of the geekiest things we can use in this hobby, I did get curious and would love to try one out.

I use a magnifying glass often

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10490673#post10490673 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hansmatt
My wife would laugh me out of the house if she caught me wearing those...that said, I WANT SOME!
I think my husband would have me committed.....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10490596#post10490596 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Miax
Interesting. :) I wonder how these would work on a bow-front tank with the curved glass? Would be pretty cool to get close-ups on polyps and corals!

C'mon Kris. Get one. You know you want to. Get it, man. Get it, get it, get it! (Bart Simpson imitation)

:lol:

Spleen

Back