Copepod INVASION!

7 years ago I got 2 very small percs. and put them in solana 34. They were under 1/2 in, they where so small that brine shrimp looked huge. Anyhow 7 years later and they not much over a inch. They have been in a 90gal with no other fish for the last 2 years. Since I don't feed crazy their growth is slow. There has been several study's that if a animal gets a very low cal diet they will slow their growth and almost double their life span. So.

I wouldnt consider those clown's healthy? And maybe providing links to the study would help to back up the claim. I have been feeding my baby clowns quite a bit and they have grown a good chunk over the period of 7 months. Clowns not growing much sounds a little like malnourishment to me. Just saying. And they have survived 7 year's this way? Honestly its almost hard to believe, although it could happen I guess.

+1 on Nano Clowns being BS. Sounds like a sale's pitch from a LFS that gets hundreds a week to flip.

I have 2 clowns in my 20 Gallon and I sort of feel sorry for them sometimes. I couldnt imagine them in anything smaller.

EDIT: http://www.sustainableaquatics.com/products/sustainable-aquatics-hatcheries/clownfish/mocha/

That is the only information available on the "species" and it seems to me they just ship them alot smaller, which is why we see VERY SMALL clowns at our LFS. They are the same clowns, you get them at a younger age.

Actually, it's not BS.. so think before you speak in absolutes about something you don't have all the information on. There are clowns that are bred to be small, fella that supplies them around here is in Maine actually. I have a friend who as some of them for two years and they are still under an inch.

Whether or not they are marketed as "Nano Clowns" is what can be debated yes, or the fact they will always stay within some specified measurement..Whether or not they stay smaller than others should NOT be debated because it's true..Unless my eyeballs are lying to me again.

And using your logic, you should feel sorry for any ocean fish in ANY fish tank since even the largest reef tanks are a spec of habitat compared to what they would have in the ocean. Most clowns don't wander more than a foot (at most) from their host or hideout anyway, so tank size is alot less of a concern.

Either way, if the fish did get too large or wasn't thriving, I just move it to something larger. Not like it's going to get flushed down the toilet.

Last edited:
I put in 3 bottles of copepods in a 1 week period. Some took refuge in my chaeto. I just shined a light on my live rock (tank lights off) and I saw HUGE copepods scatter like cockroaches. Musta been 3-4 per postage size of live rock.

I'm debating on buying another bottle and putting it in the filter and back sump chamber of my 24ga nano.

The Bottle Copepods do not reproduce..You are better served ordering a copepod pack online to get the ones that reproduce.

Since I have added them and a fistfull of Chaeto my Phosphates are at zero. They were low to begin with, but I have to think they both had something to do with lowering them more.

They have also balanced out nicely.

Last edited:
There have been a lot of cases LFS will label their fish different than using the proper name. There is one thread that someone mention he/she bought a "Jewel Thief Crab" when it's actually a Decorator crab. Any mis-informed LFS will label their livestock under some fancy name just to make a quick buck.

Again - there are NO such thing as Nano clowns!!! What you have are actually baby/juvenile clownfish - either Occelleris or Percula and they WILL get bigger. But hey, you think you're the expert on clownfish, not us. Your money, your tank. Good luck.

There have been a lot of cases LFS will label their fish different than using the proper name. There is one thread that someone mention he/she bought a "Jewel Thief Crab" when it's actually a Decorator crab. Any mis-informed LFS will label their livestock under some fancy name just to make a quick buck.

Again - there are NO such thing as Nano clowns!!! What you have are actually baby/juvenile clownfish - either Occelleris or Percula and they WILL get bigger. But hey, you think you're the expert on clownfish, not us. Your money, your tank. Good luck.

PRECISELY!!! :lol2:

Some wholesalers label clowns as "nano" just because they are very young and small, not because they are bred to stay small.

Actually, it's not BS.. so think before you speak in absolutes about something you don't have all the information on. There are clowns that are bred to be small, fella that supplies them around here is in Maine actually. I have a friend who as some of them for two years and they are still under an inch.

Whether or not they are marketed as "Nano Clowns" is what can be debated yes, or the fact they will always stay within some specified measurement..Whether or not they stay smaller than others should NOT be debated because it's true..Unless my eyeballs are lying to me again.

And using your logic, you should feel sorry for any ocean fish in ANY fish tank since even the largest reef tanks are a spec of habitat compared to what they would have in the ocean. Most clowns don't wander more than a foot (at most) from their host or hideout anyway, so tank size is alot less of a concern.

Either way, if the fish did get too large or wasn't thriving, I just move it to something larger. Not like it's going to get flushed down the toilet.

You seem to be jumping directly onto anyone who has a point that goes against your own. And yes, I do feel sorry for clowns when they are put in 8 Gallon container's... and then when the tank's OP asks what else can he put in there they get attacked for giving their viewpoint on the subject. Dont be so quick to be defensive, how exactly does this breeder "breed" nano clownfish, I'd like to hear about the process, and the actual species he says to be "creating". But to your own. I dont care, dont ask for peoples opinion's if you cant take them. We were only trying to help. You seem to know alot about these clown's but was quick to ask what other stuff you could stock in your 8 gallon :uhoh2: just saying bro.

You seem to be jumping directly onto anyone who has a point that goes against your own. And yes, I do feel sorry for clowns when they are put in 8 Gallon container's... and then when the tank's OP asks what else can he put in there they get attacked for giving their viewpoint on the subject. Dont be so quick to be defensive, how exactly does this breeder "breed" nano clownfish, I'd like to hear about the process, and the actual species he says to be "creating". But to your own. I dont care, dont ask for peoples opinion's if you cant take them. We were only trying to help. You seem to know alot about these clown's but was quick to ask what other stuff you could stock in your 8 gallon :uhoh2: just saying bro.

You're not trying to help, you are trying to start a coalition. Which I find hilarious. This all started with a <font size="5" color="#0000FF">profanity removed</font> disturber derailing my original question by making bottom line statements about the clownfish in my tank. Which have NOTHING to do with my original question! But hey, let's keep going round and round in the new thread you fellas have managed to create about Nano Clowns and my tank being too small.

Gimme a break..How about go someplace else and be a troll.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Bottle Copepods do not reproduce..You are better served ordering a copepod pack online to get the ones that reproduce.

Since I have added them and a fistfull of Chaeto my Phosphates are at zero. They were low to begin with, but I have to think they both had something to do with lowering them more.

They have also balanced out nicely.

Every bottled Copepod product on the market will reproduce in aquaria. Some species need to be feed more, or do not take as much flow... but they all reproduce.

FWIW one of amphipods favorite prey in aquaria is copepods, they'll knock your copepod levels down for you.

I wasnt trolling but when you see every response that someone made get attacked; then whats the point of asking a question? Aren't we here to debate and exchange idea's? Your tank is obviously fine for them in the time being, but they more then likely will need changed in some time. They are not going to stay half an inch big, I guarantee it. I apologize for any rudeness that may have been taken, was only trying to help. Happy reefing!

EDIT: Are you using Tigger Pod's?

I wasnt trolling but when you see every response that someone made get attacked; then whats the point of asking a question? Aren't we here to debate and exchange idea's? Your tank is obviously fine for them in the time being, but they more then likely will need changed in some time. They are not going to stay half an inch big, I guarantee it. I apologize for any rudeness that may have been taken, was only trying to help. Happy reefing!

He said reefs2go.... mixed unnamed species of both copepods and amphipods. He stated the bottled pods do not reproduce.

He said reefs2go.... mixed unnamed species of both copepods and amphipods. He stated the bottled pods do not reproduce.

Ah, thanks. I was thinking about getting Tigger Pod's but I heard they die under our heat ranges. (they are colder species of pods?)

Let's take this down a notch guys. If someone doesn't want to take advice, then move on and stop posting in their thread.

Let's take this down a notch guys. If someone doesn't want to take advice, then move on and stop posting in their thread.

Thanks..It's not that I dont' want to take advice, sometimes it's the delivery of the advice..Someone comes swooping into a thread about something completely different and vehemently insists I am doing it wrong. It's worth noting, while we're getting things back on track here, that how a message is delivered matters too. Just want to clarify that point.

I apologize for coming across that way, Quite honestly, I was more miffed we got off topic and it came across as though I don't want to take advice. Not the case at all.

Thanks...And yes I completely agree with you. In fact I had already moved the female clown (mainly due to agression). So the tank only has one Clown in it now anyway.

I didn't use Tiggers, since i was told they don't reproduce. Apparently that wasn't accurate advice. The R2G pod packages are fantastic and mine have balanced out nicely as other posters have mentioned.

Thanks...And yes I completely agree with you. In fact I had already moved the female clown (mainly due to agression). So the tank only has one Clown in it now anyway.

I didn't use Tiggers, since i was told they don't reproduce. Apparently that wasn't accurate advice. The R2G pod packages are fantastic and mine have balanced out nicely as other posters have mentioned.

Interesting.. still dont know if I have enough faith in shipping/receiving to send a small animal/creatures like this yet. Might have to try some soon. lol

Interesting.. still dont know if I have enough faith in shipping/receiving to send a small animal/creatures like this yet. Might have to try some soon. lol

I understand but trust me the package is crawling with life when you get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back