Copper Banded Butterfly

Pickupman66

OK.. so I have always wanted one of these fish, but just been too chicken to get one. now, I feel confident I can support one, but just want yalls opinions. Has anyone had one? I know they are good with apistasia. I dont have any of that, but do have tons of tulips. will they eat them?

I have some polyps, but really dont care if they become food. Never put any money into them. just dont want them eating my clam or the good stuffs. If they are anem muncheers...think the clowns will keep them out of their BTA?

Pickupman66

yea, thats what I am starting to think... dont want him to have clam for dinner. got way too much time invested to have a fish eat the tank...

DgenR8

I'm an American, and I remember
Staff member
RC Mod
CBBs often times won't eat in captivity, and they just waste away. Many that do eat, take a liking to the taste of fresh, live clams.
Some have kept CBBs in a reef complete with clams, and had great success. IMO, it's not worth the chance.

poolkeeper1

After trying several, I've never had one last more than a couple weeks! They just didn't eat and wasted away and died. I think these fish are best left In the wild.

DRS

I have also had some unfortunate luck with thewe guys. Many die from being picked on by me. I have never had one pick at my hard corals or my clams, but I think that is because my tank is apitasia central. All my shrimp just do a little dance and die. As a side note, if you have a tang, you can kiss the Copperband good by. My purple tang has killed just about everyone I bought. The CBBs also like missis shrimp.

cee

I wouldn't. I had one die on me before I finally got a healthy one. Now that i've got one, he is doing fine and only ever bothered Acans. A little timid but eats with gusto whenever I feed the tank.

Dave

Pickupman66

yea, we have pretty much given up on them. dont need the hassle, and the powder brown and purple tang will likely be bullies. guess the hunt continues...need a super cool fish to put in there now. maybe ill get one of them awesome wrasses or something totally off the wall.
just need something way cool and exotic.

NeveSSL

Got tubes?
I would personally try to go for a really cool/rare pygmy angel or a nice Scott's Fairy Wrasse. :)

Brandon

zef004

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15435086#post15435086 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pickupman66
looks like im gonna get a leopard wrasse and a lubbock fairy wrasse

they are both jumpers I had a Lubbock fairy wrasse that jumped out before.

Pickupman66

tank is very well enclosed. havent lost a jumper since i screened in teh back. I will however have to close off the overflow a bit.

Mikeyjer

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15435086#post15435086 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pickupman66
looks like im gonna get a leopard wrasse and a lubbock fairy wrasse

Critters had both of these wrasse today when I was there... :)

Pickupman66

well, the lubbock is in the tank. hiding behind the overflow, but in the tank. the leopard they had was DOA so it did not come up. instead a yellow headed jaw fish did.

both new fish are in the tank, but you cant see them. I think I know where the jawfish is, but not sure. just see some cave building evidence in a hard to see corner. if thats the case, he is really going to be harrassed by the clowns.

we will try for the leopard next week or the week after.