Copper bands

blasto_master

Does anyone have a good track record with these fish???? I have had two and fed them everyday, but they still passed away. What is the secret of success with them???? I fed them mysis shrimp and clams when I had them.

in the same boat. I just purchased my second one and trying to get him to feed. I raised a packet of brine shrimp and fed them to the tank yesterday. Sadly, he passed on everyone of them. So i bought larger LIVE brine shrimp today at my lfs, he passed again. I just cooked up a frozen pizza for me, i might put a slice or two in there. I believe i still have some thanksgiving leftovers in the fridge as well. something has got to work eventually!

I have had mine 10mths now and he eats anything that hits the water, will even eat out of my hand. Ones that can eat enough from the live rock AND through supplemental feeding are few and far between. Most should be left in the ocean, mine ate all my LPS as well but I like him better anyway :) IF you try another make sure it is eating well before purchase ( ask them to feed it) and observe him for a couple weeks if possible.

I've had mine for about 5 months. Was eatting great at the LFS. The other 7 at the LFS wouldn't even touch food. Definitely only buy one that eats.

I feed mine frozen mysis, frozen brine and the key (live blackworms). I will hand feed him the live blackworms, he just pulls them out from between my fingers. I've had 2 before, but none lasted longer than 6 months, but I didn't feed the blackworms. Hopefully this one will do better.

I've had mine for about 5 months. Was eatting great at the LFS. The other 7 at the LFS wouldn't even touch food. Definitely only buy one that eats.
QUOTE]

That's what I did. I passed on several CBs at the LFS because I didn't see them eat. Then one day, they had one that was kept in a tank with some clowns. At feeding time, he would be up there feeding at the trough... I took him home for aiptasia control in the DT - he has been there since June - eats with the "mob" twice a day...

LL

mine is my oldest fish. i have had him since Jan. 2007. eats mysis and blood worms. and any aiptasia that pops up.

I have one here completing 1 year in the tank. He eats shrimp (not brine shrimp) + garlic + selcon every day and vongula every other day, they really love everything is inside a shell. He seems to be very healthy. IME if you keep then well fed they will have much more chance.

I have had one for about 6 months and he is a trooper. When I first got him he was very very shy and I had to somewhat target feed him to get him to eat. Now he will eat out of my hand and is my favorite fish. Oh and he ate up all my aiptasia so that was great too! My advice would be to make sure he takes food in the LFS then you might have to baby him a little in the beginning, however they seem to be pretty hardy once weened onto frozen foods.

I've always had success feeding frozen food like Formula 1 and 2 to my Copperband. I believe he thinks he is a tang. Maybe yours needs a friend/mentor???

Will a copperband pick at corals? Anyone have one in a reef. Another post mentioned it ate his LPS, but maybe others have had some success?

mine is in a reef with clams, sps, lps, and softies. the only thing it has eaten that i wouldn't want it to eat is tube worms/coco worms. i feed 5-8 times a day. i think that helps a lot with having fish that may potentially pick at corals. if a fish get's hungry, it'll start looking for food.

Will a copperband pick at corals? Anyone have one in a reef. Another post mentioned it ate his LPS, but maybe others have had some success?

Mine has picked at my zoas on occasion but honestly nothing bad at all. I dont have much coral so maybe Im not the best source, but I think if you get them eating frozen food and feed them enough they should be fine.

Had a Copper band for 4-5 months now and it seems to eat anything that fits in its mouth but it really likes raw shrimp, mysis and to a lesser extent any finely chopped shell fish - clams/scallops.

I had one for a very short time - in a tank with aiptaisia even...it ate very little. If I would to try it again, I would insist the LFS hold it for me and visit several times over a week to see them feed it (rather than just the one time) to make sure it is eating enough.

Ok I have a little dilemma now. I can get the copper band from a whole saler for $15 but won't be able to see it eat. The other option is pay all sorts of money at the local fish stores and pick the one that eats. I also have two tangs and worry that they might try to fight with him/her. I probably won't get one now. I would like to try one down the road if I get a bigger tank than my 75 gallon.

Mine is in with a Bubble Coral, Multiple Zoas, Mushrooms, Leathers and Kenya Trees and hasn't touched anything.

Mine eat shrimp and clams, but didm't live 3 months. I don't know why. I think that something is always missing in their food.

Back