Copper Ich treatment Q's *help*

PJtree23

I had two fish die recently, one of Ich for sure:

050e4c68.jpg

Now my spotted cardinal "Omar" has the infection aka death sentence.

I want to qt Omar and treat him with copper.

But I am worried about the other fish in my tank getting ich later on.

What would happen if I qt'd all my fish and corals and treated the entire DT, 75g, with hypo-salinity, would that kill the remaining Ich including all of its life cycle stages? Also, how long would I have to maintain the hypo salinity of the DT for it to be effective?

Thanks,

PJ

When you have ich in your tank you need to treat all fish. You can't remove one and treat it because the ich will remain in the DT.

Not sure what you mean by QT fish and corals.

You need to move all fish (and nothing else) to a hospital tank and treat with hyposalinity or copper. Leave all invertebrates, coral, rock, etc. in the DT. Without a fish in the DT the ich will die. You'll need to allow the DT to sit like this for 8 weeks to have a 99.9% of all ich being gone.

Good luck!!!

When you have ich in your tank you need to treat all fish. You can't remove one and treat it because the ich will remain in the DT.

Not sure what you mean by QT fish and corals.

You need to move all fish (and nothing else) to a hospital tank and treat with hyposalinity or copper. Leave all invertebrates, coral, rock, etc. in the DT. Without a fish in the DT the ich will die. You'll need to allow the DT to sit like this for 8 weeks to have a 99.9% of all ich being gone.

Good luck!!!

So the ich will die in the DT even with normal salinity?

If you take all the fish out of the DT, the ich will die off in 6-8 weeks from the DT. It is okay to leave the corals in the DT. Doing that, you wont have ich in the DT.

However, you still have to treat the fish in the QT. Either by use of copper or hyposalinity.

Copper, I would do 3 weeks at 0.5ppm.

Hyposalinity, I would do 6 weeks after the last white spot is seen on the fish. Some claims 4 weeks, but I would do 6 to make sure.

So the ich will die in the DT even with normal salinity?

Yes. That's correct. The ich need a fish to host them. Without any fish the lifecycle will be broken and they will all die. As Geaux Xman said you'll have to treat the fish in a QT with either copper of hyposalinity. Copper is more difficult on the fish as it's a poison, but it's easier for the hobbyist. However, hyposalinity requires a lot more attention from the aquarist for a couple of reasons. If you allow the salinity to get too high you need to start again. Also it's difficult to maintain proper pH in hyposalinity, so it needs to be monitored well and adjusted often.

I've been a copper fan for years. However, I'm starting to become convinced that Quinine Sulfate is the way to go. Many published experts, like Fenner & Goemans agree. research all three options and go with your choice; the sooner the better. This thread, and links it contains, have lots of great info.I'm not endorsing QS, because I haven't tried it yet; but support for it is very convincing. But then, I also think cupramine is foolproof and not has hard on fish as many think...at least IMO& IME. (Now tat is confusing, huh?) http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1974075

And here it is...

2ab78e41.jpg

My copper treatment center!

Tank is fishless...I am now going to wait out the 8 weeks

PJ

Back