Copperbanded reef safe?

MarkD40

I have always loved the CBB but have never added a butterfly to my reef because conventional wisdom states that they are not reef safe. Recently I was speaking to a guy who designs and maintains reef tanks for private customers. (His largest is an 8000 gallon tank set-up in a local office building. So he knows what he is doing!)

He told me he puts CBB's in reefs all the time and has never had problems with them bothering corals. Before I pull the trigger and buy one I thought I would troll through RC for some other opinions. Once added to my tank I could never get him out so I want to make an informed decision. Thanks!

Some are reef safe, others are not. Some eat aiptasia, others do not. Some eat and live, others do not.

Like Steve pointed out, it's pretty much up to the certain specimen if it will or won't eat corals. Just keep in mind that the better fed they are the less risk of picking at corals looking for food there will be.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12219970#post12219970 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
Some are reef safe, others are not. Some eat aiptasia, others do not. Some eat and live, others do not.
+1

My first one was a picky eater, and eventually starved to death. My second one was eating mysis at the LFS before I would buy it, and it is doing great (over a year now).

Pros - Beautiful, friendly, eats all of my aiptasia, has never touched my corals (softies, LPS).

Cons - Wiped out my feather dusters (100's of them), occasionally picks at my snails, picked my Sea Hare to death. And (not a con for me but something to consider) you will not be able to keep any clams.

IMO, the biggest problem with these fish is finding a healthy specimen that will take prepared foods.

BUT... if you get the right one ;) ...they're awesome!

Aiptasia have about a 10 second life expectancy in my display :D and mine eats brine, mysis, etc... Get one from your LFS, put a deposit down or have them hold it for a couple weeks to make sure it eats ok. Odds are your LFS has plenty of aiptasia too ;)

Mine ignores clams and corals totally... feather dusters however :lol:

Don't want clams and feather dusters are attacked unmercifully by my two dwarf angelfish. I realize the risk but I just wanted to hear that a good experience can be had.

I purchased the CBB to solve a problem (aiptasia), but ended up REALLY liking this fish. Mine is very bold, always out and about, and doesn't spook even when I have my hand in the tank (very curious fish).

Back